Chapter Twenty Two

Darkness wrapped its arms around her like a cold, soaked blanket

Fear gripped her, cold sweat trickled down her face and neck, sticking the thin bedclothes to her chest. Annie had forgotten that was all she wore: a flimsy black top and a silky pajama bottom. Even her feet were bare, despite how she hated sleeping with socks covering her feet, she wished she’d put them on. Annie felt exposed. 

She must have dozed off during the ride to wherever the kidnappers were taking her. She blinked rapidly to clear the sleep from her eyes and waited for a few seconds to let her pupils adjust to the blackness.

Since being thrown into the back of the van, Annie had no inkling of the time passed. It could have been hours. Days. Weeks? She breathed hard, each heavy, desperate breath piercing the silence, rasping in her ears mixing with her pounding heart.

Don’t be ridiculous. No way in hell all that time had gone by. Be calm.

She felt disoriented and sore; her bruised body ached from head to toe. Her mouth felt as though a handful of cotton balls were stuffed inside, any sudden movement, it felt like her head would explode.

Annie knew she had to find another position to feel comfortable. Her back pressed to the hard metal of vehicle and her ass ached from sitting so long on the hard floor of the van. Her legs had long fallen asleep probably the same time Reon did.

Annie ran her hands over her son’s back and when she felt the steady movement of his breathing, a veil of relief fell over her, comforting her so she couldn’t complain.

As her eyes became accustomed to the darkness, she tried to make out her surroundings. There was nothing she could see; it was too dark. Sighing, Annie felt her way around, but the vehicle chose the same time to slip into a pothole.

The severity of it caused her backside to lift off the floor only plopped back down hard enough to knock the breath from her lungs. Annie’s hands flailed out, grabbing for something to hold on to. Her elbow came into contact with what felt like a cardboard box jarring her funny bone. She didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Reon whimpered and moved in her arms; she laid a small kiss on his velvety soft cheek, willing heart rate to calm down. She held him closer and breathed in his powdery baby scent.

With nothing else to do, she closed her eyes. If only she could find a weapon. That was her last thought until...

                  ********
“Mama?”

The soft sound of Reon’s baby voice sounded far away. I’m here baby. She tried to say, but her mouth didn’t utter the words.

“Mama?” Reon’s voice trembled. His little fingers roaming everywhere: tugging on her top. Reaching for her face.

Why couldn’t she answer her baby? Her energy had completely depleted. Annie had no strength remaining. Her mind cried out for her to stay alert. That she couldn’t give up. Reon needed her.