Chapter Eighteen

After the conversation they had, none of them said anything to each other until the next morning

Annie woke to Andy speaking on the phone. She rubbed the remnants of sleep from her eyes and her mouth stretched into a jaw-cracking yawn. Twirling her neck, she heard the satisfying crick. God. That pillow was uncomfortable. Nothing like Andy's chest.

Where the hell did that thought came from?

Shaking her head at her wayward thoughts, she placed her feet on the floor, only to jerk it up in a flash.

"Jeeze! That's cold," she blurted out.

"One hundred million dollars."

Forgetting about the cold floor, Annie wondered who Andy was telling about the money.

Maybe it's Gregg. But he knew about that. Who else could it be? Come on, Annie girl! Stop guessing.

"Mama?"

Reon's sweet baby voice jerked her head to him as he crawled towards her.

"Good morning little man," she cooed.

His eyes brightened and he smiled at her. She tickled under his chin and he giggled.

"Yes, I know." She heard Andy saying.

Breaking her focus from her son, she listened to the back-and-forth conversation he had going on. He said something so quiet, she barely heard what it was. Glancing back at her son, she saw him staring intently at his little toes.

Smiling, Annie got out of the bed, wincing when her feet landed on the chilly floor. She was almost to the door when she heard him saying: "They said I have two days and I..." He paused.

Now curious. Annie walked back towards the bed and lifted Reon into her arms. He kicked his legs and grabbed her hair, wrenching it towards his face.

"Ow, that hurts," she cried untangling his fingers from her hair. "No, honey, you can't eat that."

His little brows furrowed as if to ask why. She laughed softly. "Why are looking at me like that, sweetheart?"

He tapped her cheek and his face rearranged into a toothy smile. She kissed his fingers. "Let's go see daddy."

As she neared, she heard more of the conversation.

"So you think I should give them the money?"

What the hell? Who was Andy talking to?

She quickened her steps to get to the living room.

"No, money isn't the problem but-what if when I give them the money and they keep coming back for more?" Andy asked.

Annie couldn't figure out who he was speaking to at that moment her mind was trying to process the whole thing. It could not be Gregg. He advised them not to pay the money. Then it registered: Andy would pay all that money for her and their son. To keep them safe.