Chapter Six

Annie swallowed hard and mentally shoved aside the rage spiking her temper

Annie swallowed hard and mentally shoved aside the rage spiking her temper. She couldn’t handle the tension, so she inhaled slowly and blew out a cleansing breath.

Reon moved in his sleep but didn’t wake up. Thank God. She waited a while to make sure he stayed asleep before continuing. “You were the one who hurt me, Andy.”

Andy’s body hummed with the tension he sensed from Annie. Despite how angry he was, he shrugged off her words, as though what she said wasn’t the truth. He knew he’d never hurt her. Never would. He loved her—loved her hard. With every fiber of his being. Andy had lived for the relationship they had. In his heart, Annie had been the one thing that kept him whole. It almost destroyed him when she left.

Seeing her—being so close to her after such a long time; that was her excuse for leaving him. No, it couldn’t be. This was way more than he thought it was. It had to be a misunderstanding and he will figure out what it was. At one time, he wanted to hate her. Oh, he wanted to rant and rave at the sheer mention of her name. Anger was his soul mate, it molested his mind and raged through his thoughts until he’d turned to the offensive liquid: alcohol. 

Andy hated thinking about his past and how he suffered. Heck, he was still suffering. He shook his head, trying to throw off those memories and focus on the present. He’d learned one thing though: he could never hate the woman he loved.

Annie waited, but he didn’t answer. Could it be that he blamed her for everything? For leaving? Andy had sounded so devastated—How could that be? He was the one who...

“Look, Annie, it seems you’re getting this all wrong. I don’t want to say you’re lying, but what was so bad that you had to leave? I can’t come to terms with that. I've never hurt you. Why would you say that?”

“I’m not lying,” her voice trembled, “You broke my heart. I had to leave.”

Andy sighed. “We’ll continue this conversation later okay?”

“Fine,” she answered, her thoughts a mile away. Annie felt a sudden weakness took root in her. She felt like she’d lost a battle—a non-existent battle. Her throat itched and her nose became snuffy. Her skin appeared feverish and her eyes drooped. Perspiration dotted her forehead, and she felt chilled to her bone. 

Maybe she was coming down with something or she was just as tired as her son. Why else would she just let the whole thing go? Why would she let him blame her and make it look like if she was the bad person? And given how angry she’d been with him, she should have lashed out, should have reminded him of his betrayal. His fake promises. His empty words of love and faithfulness. She shook her head to force those thoughts away.

Andy had pulled the SUV to a stop in front of a one-story white house.

“Why did we stop here?” she asked.