Chapter Elven

Andy fixed her with a steady gaze as if trying to determine if she was alright

Andy fixed her with a steady gaze as if trying to determine if she was alright. "Are you okay?"

Her gut twisted, but she forced a smile. "I'm fine." The look on his face told her he didn't believe her. But he changed the subject.

"I made a bottle for him," he said, chuckling. "The little munchkin was hungry as a bear. Isn't that right little man?" Reon let out a loud burp before carrying on with his baby language. Andy laughed. "Well, that confirmed it; he's full."

Annie's smile widen when Reon stretched his little arms for her. She took the baby from his arms and Andy led them into the living room where Gregg stood. Annie had to crane her neck to look at the man's face. Jeeze he was big. Corded muscle and masculine strength lined his body and his rugged face held health and experience. His midnight eyes hard as stone and his dark skin glowed under the bright light.

"Annie, this is my friend Gregg." Andy introduced them and the man held out his hand to her. When they shook hands Annie noted how big and strong his hands were. "Nice to meet you," Greg said. His face cracking with a lopsided grin.

Annie swallowed then cleared her throat. "Y-you too." She rearranged Reon in her arms and took a seat on the couch.

"Have you found out something new," Andy asked.

Gregg sighed. "I went through the notes you sent, but there is nothing there that could help. I mean it's just a bunch of letters set to make words."

"So what are we going to do? I think it's time we involve the police."

"Andy you know it's not a good idea. They almost killed you guys tonight."

"We might not have a choice." Andy pushed his hands through his hair as he made his way around the coffee table and dropped into the chair behind it.

"I think this person is a professional and they would know if you go to the police. Just give me more time and I would nail the son of a bitch behind this whole fiasco. Can you think of anyone who would want all that money from you to kidnap and threatened to kill Annie and her son?"

"That's the thing; I can't think of anyone who would do that."

"What about you Annie?" Gregg asked. His eyes zeroing on her. "An ex-lover? Your son's father?"

Annie squeaked at his words and her face burned in embarrassment. "I--ah--"

Andy almost smiled at the look on Annie's face and how she fought to put words together. "Reon's is my son. I knew about him today."

If Gregg was surprised at the revelation, he didn't show it. "Well, that brings us right back to square one."

Annie wanted to crawl under the covers and stayed there. His eyes didn't show it but she knew Gregg judged her. Who wouldn't? She kept a man's ---Andy's son from him all because she believed the worse of him.

Andy leaned back in the chair and dragged his hand over his face. "But Gregg, this person knew about Reon before I did, so it has to be someone we both know." His eyes met hers for a moment. A hint of sadness glinted in his eyes before he blinked and it was gone.

"I was coming to that same conclusion. Gregg said. And I know just who to look into. The people you grew up around in your hometown. Someone had to know Annie left Bay Hills pregnant."

"This is all my fault. If I'd only taken that first note seriously, we would have already known who was behind it. Now my family is in more danger."

Annie couldn't believe what she heard. "None of this is your fault. You couldn't have prevented this. That wicked person had everything planned out. So don't blame yourself, okay." His weary eyes met hers again, and he gave a slight nod.

"I'm giving you a few more days, Gregg then I'm going to the police."

Gregg was silent for a moment. "One more thing before I go, are sure you don't have enemies? Angry ex-girlfriend?"

"No enemies and as for an ex-girlfriend, he turned to look at her, there was no one else since Annie left me two years ago."

"I will call when I'm done with my investigation. Stay low and you should be safe here. If you think about anything else that could be useful; call me. I have two men on patrol outside your house right now."

"Take care," Gregg said and walked from the room.

"I'll call you and thanks again," Andy added.

Silence hung between them after Greg left. Annie looked at him, expecting him to say something but what she saw on his face was many emotions ranging from regret to anger and maybe love when he looked down at his son.

Andy's ringing phone broke the silence. "Sh---crap! Annie, I have to go out for a while. I have to pick up documents at the office. So much have happened, I'd forgotten all about it." He sighed and walked over to her.

"Andy are you sure it's a good idea to leave?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I could take care of myself. No need to worry." He smiled. "Maybe you could take more rest or watch television. Just be comfortable. I will tell the men outside I'm going out." He bent, kissed her forehead and ran his hand over their son's head.

Annie's heart turned over in her chest and butterflies erupted in her stomach at the gesture. Her eyes trailed his retreating form. Okay, Annie, you heard the man, you will be safe here. But she couldn't help or stop the bad feeling she was getting as if something bad would happen.

Oh God, please protect Andy because without him we're both doomed.

___________________________________

Tell me what you guys think in the comments. Thank you:)

Don't forget to vote