Chapter Nineteen

“Gregg wants me back in the city

“Gregg wants me back in the city. He said he has a plan.”

“Did he find the people responsible?” Annie asked, her eyes wide with hope.

Andy shifted Reon in his arms and looked at her. “No, but with the plan, we will get the bastard. He wants me to be there when it all goes down. This is my chance to fix things once and for all.”

Annie listened to what he was saying but, one thing kept repeating in her mind like a broken record: he was leaving her and Reon all alone. She knew he couldn’t take them with him. It was too dangerous, and she had no intention of putting her baby through that again.

He will come back!

“Okay,” she said, not looking at him for she didn’t want him to notice the fear brimming in her eyes.

“Gregg wants us to use the money as a trap.”

“Um... Andy I…”

He didn’t give her a chance to reply; he continued.

“I think this might work. No… I believe it will. It has to.”

Annie's shoulders sagged. She wanted whatever they had planned to work, but she was so scared. What if something happened to Andy? Could she bear it? Could her heart suffer another devastating blow?

“W-when do you have to leave?” Her voice cracked. She willed herself to be strong. To be positive. She didn‘t want to let her fear discourage Andy. 

“I have to leave today.” Andy reached across and took her hands into his large ones. “Everything will get better; I promise, okay?”

She blinked up at him, his face lined with hard-set determination. “Okay, Andy, I trust you.”

“Annie, you and Reon are my life. I love you with everything in me. I have to do this—for us—we can‘t keep running for the rest of our lives.”

“I love you too, Andy,” she managed. Tears pricked at the backs of her eyes. 

She felt Andy moved closer to her.

“No, baby don‘t cry. Please don‘t cry. You’ll make me cry, too, and I hate crying. Makes my nose run.”

A smile teased her lips. She looked up into the eyes of the love of her life. “I want you to stay safe.”

He eased Reon onto the couch between them before cupping her face. “I will.”

Carmel colored eyes searched hers for a split second before his lips met hers. His tongue invaded her mouth so fast, her head spun. He deepened the kiss, almost stealing her breath away. She inhaled and swallowed up his essence. The kiss was pure magic, and she loved every moment.

He pulled back, forehead pressed together, their noses bumping, he breathed hard. Andy’s warm breath washed over her doing nothing to help her equally pounding heart. Her lips tingled while butterflies campaigned in her stomach.