Chapter 39

I ran my hand through Fleetfoot's soft fur, gliding it through the fibers.

"I have one more thing to do before we leave," I spoke out to the group of people standing around me.

"Does it involve blood?" Chaol asked sternly.

"Okay, just to be clear that was my own blood in the closet. Not someone else's," I stated without answering the question. Remembering how I was using the cloth to re-bandage the gunshot wounds before having to go to my McDonald's shift.

Yrene looked at me confused and in concern.

"You're injured?" she asked.

"No, I was just bleeding for no reason," I replied.

"Why did you not come to me? I could have healed the injury straight away," Yrene said, her voice sounding a bit angry at my recklessness. "How serious is the wound?"

"I've dealt with worse," I said truthfully, not really answering the question.

"Damn it, Aelin. Just show her the wound," Chaol said slightly agitated.

I rolled my eyes and slowly pushed up the sleeve of my shirt. My nimble fingers then unwrap the cloth that was tightly tied to it.

In the corner of my eyes I see everyone's eyes widen. I then proceeded to do the same with the other arm, making sure to be careful.

"When did you get shot?" Yrene wondered.

"This one was yesterday," I motioned my head towards my right shoulder, "and the other was four days ago."

Yrene sighed at my actions. She then gracefully stepped towards me. She placed her hands lightly on my right shoulder. Just close enough to touch my skin, but without pressing on the wound. Although it still hurt as if she were stabbing me with a knife.

Her eyes drifted close in concentration and the hole in my arm started to heal over. The skin enclosing the wound eventually leaving a fresh pink scar on my arm in an off-perfect circle.

Her eyes shot open and she shuffled to the other side of my body and once more, placed her feminine hands on my teared skin. I watched the skin shaped a glaze over the bullet hole, another scar to my collection.

She stood back to admire her work and check if it was healed. Pleased with her work, the healer turned back towards her husband.

"W-what..." a voice stumbled. I paid zero attention to it though.

My shoulders rotated around feeling a bit stiff and only slightly painful. Nowhere near as much as before when it was just pure agony.

I turned to face the road next to my house, "I'll meet you by the docks in two hours. If I'm not there presume the worst and just leave," I announced.

I didn't let them have time to reply as I broke into a steady jog leaving that house for the last time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My feet ached as I finally reached a halt.

The place was a lot further away than I anticipated.

The dull building seemed to lure darkness towards its old sturdy structure. Graffiti covered the wall like a person's skin dressed in tattoos. The four inch thick, steel door was slightly rusted in the corners.

I reached forward and pulled down the handle. Memories of what happened the last time I was here made me become suddenly more aware of my surroundings.