Chapter 12

I slowly walk back down to the streets. I don't know why I did that. It just felt right. But, who knows I might be finally developing feelings...wait never mind.

It took me a few minutes to return to my house. I close the door behind me and lean on it. My eyes close. My breath steady. But my mind, my mind's broken. 

I jump when a someone knocks on the door. I turn and twist the door handle. I see a beaming Kate.

"Kate?" I ask surprised. 

"Who else," I put on a plastered smile. "Can I come in?"

"Umm...sure." I move to the side so she can come in, "how do you know where I live?" 

"I bribed Dory to tell me." I grunt. Soon the whole city will know where I live. 

"How ddid you do that?"

"He has a weakness for books, I gave him my library card." I snort, of course."Is anyone else home?" She asks. 

"No, I live alone."

"No siblings? No parents?" This would normally strike through my heart like a knife, but for some reason I felt my self not caring. I left my emotions at the party, far behind me.

"Nope, they died." I say and smile. Months ago my reaction...let's just say it would be different. 

"Oh, I'm sorry." Her voice solemn.

I shrug. "Want a drink, I've only got water though." 

"Umm...yeah." She replies. I grab a glass and fill it with water from the tap and pass it to her.

"So, the whole house to yourself and not ONCE you've thrown a party!" Kate exclaims, "Ga-Ga this is a big problem." I can't help but chuckle. 

"I've been busy."

"With what?" In a dramatic voice she continues, "what could possibly be more important than throwing a party."

"I got a job." I say, half of the truth.

"Really! She shrieks, "where?"

"McDonald's. I needed money."

"You're not going to get much from there. The pay is tiny." Kate says. I ponder on that for a second.

"You're right, I'll get another job." I have a perfect one in mind.  Kate looks at her Casio watch.

"Oh my god. I got to go. Sorry was sposed to be home 15 minutes ago."

"It's fine." She smiles awkwardly at me before turning and quickly walking out. I sigh. Time to get the job. I should have gone to it first, I'm more experienced in the area after all. I smirk and go upstairs to my room.

The box had remainded untouched  since the day we came. I open it and pull out the content. The black material feeling beautiful against my fingertips. I put it on, find the place on the internet and wait. 

Wait until my body can be shadowed by the light of the moon. Wait untill I'm only a slither of darkness.

Qoute: "If they wanted Adarlan's Assassin, they'd get her. And Wyrd help them when she arrived."