...Of The End

Carl

Being in the army had been both a rewarding and extremely difficult experience that I was grateful for. I felt like I'd turned my entire life around once again.

I was originally supposed to be in the army for three years, but that turned into four because it was required. I got by with the support of my loved ones and the friends I'd made in the military.

Todd ended up becoming my best buddy. We were in the same branch, so we often got put together when we were on call. He helped me study when we could since college was free for us. Even though I wasn't the most school smart, I knew it'd benefit me and help when it was time to take the test at the police academy.

All in all, I was just happy that I was coming home happy and alive.

_

I couldn't take my eyes off of Cailee the entire ride to my old home. I had missed her so damn much and she was even more beautiful than before (as if that was even possible).

"As you know, this family loves to party," Cailee said as we pulled up in front of the house. "And what better time than now is there to celebrate?"

"Never!" Cody shouted from the backseat, making me chuckle.

"Exactly, my love. Inside we go," Cailee grinned. We got out of the car and I unhooked Cody from her car seat. I helped her out and she ran up onto the porch. I sighed as I watched her reach up to turn the doorknob. I'd missed so much of her life and I hated that. "You ok, baby?"

I looked over at Cailee and wrapped my arm around her, "Yeah, come on."

_

After the little get together died down, Cailee, Cody, and I left. We were mere steps away from our apartment and I was excited. I'd never seen it before. Cody was asleep, so I carried her while following behind Cailee. She stopped in front of a door that said '3B.'

"This is it," she smiled and opened the door. My eyes widened as soon as I walked in. Just the living room itself was decorated beautifully, and I couldn't wait to see the rest. Cailee bit her lip nervously, "You like it?"

"I fucking love it. You did this all by yourself?"

"Mostly," she smiled. "Had a little help from Aubrey. Come on, let's go put Cody to bed." She led me past the kitchen and down a little hallway. I knew which room was Cody's because her name was in neon colors on the door.

Everything in her room was bright and adorable, finished off with all white furniture and toys everywhere. It was a room I wished I had as a kid. I handed Cody to Cailee, careful not to wake her.

"I'm gonna get her in her pajamas and put her in bed. Go check out our room. It's right across the hall," she said.

"Okay," I left Cody's room and opened the door to ours. It was way better than our old one at Aubrey's. It had more space and the decor was in our favorite colors, red and gray. I heard Cody's door shut and Cailee came into the room. "Baby, you are so talented. This place looks amazing."

"Thank you," She shut the door behind her and wrapped her arms around my neck. "I missed you so much." She leaned up to kiss me and I tilted her head back to deepen it.