Deprived

Cailee

The house became silent again once Hunter and Debbie left. Franny was upstairs taking a nap so babysitting duty would be a breeze.

I smiled to myself. I was an excellent matchmaker. I had a gut feeling that the two would really hit it off.

Carl sat back down on the couch, flipping through TV channels.

I sat on the armrest, "You still have an attitude?"

He put the remote onto the coffee table and faced me, wearing a frown. "From thinking about him fucking my sister? Not at all."

"What's the big deal? You act like it's me he's going out with," Carl clearly disliked the idea of Hunter and me.

"I'd kill him," he deadpanned.

"Are you... jealous?" I teased him. He stood up, walking in front of me.

"Is there anything I have to be jealous about?" Carl asked seriously, folding his arms.

I frowned, and I think I should've just stayed quiet, but I spoke my mind of course. "That's rich coming from you."

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?" he glowered.

"Nothing."

"You said it, so finish it."

"Fine," I leaned closer to him. "That's fucking rich coming from someone that hooked up with my damn cousin!"

"I was wasted, Cailee! I thought we were over this shit already."

"Well, maybe I'm not..." I admitted. "I don't know if I ever will be able to get over you being with somebody else the way you should've been with me."

"What, drunk? You can't dri-"

"No, Carl," I cut him off. "Intimate."

Carl

Oh.

My entire demeanor changed. Cailee was still hurting and I was being nothing but a jerk to her. I was jealous over somebody I didn't know, the real reason being that I thought he was probably better than me.

In the back of mind, I could see someone else treating her better than I had as of recently. He just happened to be brought up when that thought manifested. He seemed really nice and I didn't get bad vibes, even though I was an asshole when he was there anyway.

I tugged at the roots of my hair out of frustration, "I'm sorry... I'm a fucking dick."

"No, I hadn't told you I still felt that way-"

"-I should've known everything wasn't just gonna go back to normal instantly. I was just hopeful."

"Carl-"

"I can barely remember what I even did, but you remember every ounce of pain I caused by doing it. I fucking expected you to get over it as easily as I have, but I know it doesn't work that way."