19- The Edge Of Death

"Hope?" Landon said cradling her in his arms.

"Hope?" He asked again. "Can you hear me?"

Hope nodded slowly as she looked at her hand that was covered in blood.

I dug through my backpack and found the first aid kit that I had made sure to bring with.

"Back up." I said opening it up. "Landon, keep her head up and keep her stable, talk to her. Make sure she stays awake."

I placed the stitch kit on the ground and pulled out the string, needle, scissors and gauss. I dabbed at the blood cleaning it up a little bit.

I quickly went to work as I began to stitch up one of two wounds.

My mom was a nurse and she made it a point to teach me how to stitch wounds, I guess that's just what you teach your demigod children.

She was loosing blood quickly, that's what swords did to you. Not to mention thousand year old swords probably didn't make it any better.

"Raf, I need your help!" I called to him.

He quickly changed out of wolf form from where he was lying sadly next to Hope.

"What do you need me to do?" He asked clearly distraught.

Put your hands under her back and keep as much pressure on that wound as you can until I finish her stomach.

"Am I going to die?" Hope croaked out.

Landon shook his head rapidly as tears clouded his eyes. "No, no you're not."

"Landon, as soon as I'm done stitching this I'm going to need you to heal it as best you can." I said to him.

If he healed her wound while it was like this it could send her into shock and there was a chance she could die. I needed to close the wound and stop the bleeding before Landon could transfer some of his energy to her.

I put the last two stitches in and tied a knot in it before I neatly cut it with a scissors.

"Done." I said to Landon as we carefully flipped her over.

She rested her head on his thigh and began mumbling gibberish as Landon's palms glowed orange and his energy flowed from his hands to her stomach.

Olivia sat against the wall to my left with her knees pulled to her chest, her arms wrapped around her shins and her head buried in her knees.

I knew she was crying, it didn't take a genius but I could also tell how she was feeling without having to look at her.

I continued to stitch up my dying friend as best I could. I was running out of string, but that wasn't a problem, I was halfway done, I'd only need around three more knots.

"All done." I said clasping my hands together.

"Oh thank the gods." Rafael said with a sigh of relief.

Landon closed his eyes tightly as he transferred energy into her before carrying her to where they had been sleeping before.

***
Hours had passed.

I was the last one awake, I couldn't allow myself to fall asleep again in this tomb.

Especially since one of my best friends was on the verge of death because of it.

I kneeled down next to Hope where she was curled half onto Landon, half on the ground.

I pressed two fingers against her throat and felt for a pulse.

I released a relieved sigh when I got one. It was weak but it was there.

I stood up and began to pace around the chamber, keeping alert for anyone who tried to catch us off guard again.

"Ash?" I heard Olivia's frail voice call out across the room.

"Hey, what are you doing up?" I asked her as I cross the room.

She still had her eyes closed and she laid curled up in a ball against my backpack.

"I'm cold." She whined.

"Here. I got you." I said throwing my leather jacket over her shivering body.

She pulled it up to her chin. "Aren't you going to get cold?"

I shook my head. "I'll be fine, go back to bed."

She mumbled something unintelligible that I couldn't understand before she fell back asleep.

I turned around walked down the left corridor this time. The only difference was that I was in my actual body, so if I ran into anything dangerous. I could die.

I followed the dim light that was illuminating the end of the tunnel.

I kept waking until I appeared on a balcony overlooking a chamber below that could hold commercial jet planes.

A draugr was sitting in a stone throne at the very back of the room. Shrines of the Norse Gods sat behind him.

The draugr was covered shoulders to toe with steel battle armor, a sword at his hip, a giant battle-ax on his strapped to his back, and a crown sat on the top of his head.

Ragnar.

A legion of draugr sat in stone bleachers that was seated in a semi circle around him.

It looked like an arena, like an underground colosseum. Frankly, it terrified me.

Tomorrow, two demigods, a Phoenix, a werewolf, a girl who was walking the line between the living and the dead would be walking into this head on. 

The breeze in the room shifted causing the flame of the torches to shift. The lightning changed and caught the glimmer of something blue that was sitting on a pedestal in front of Ragnar.

My stomach sunk as I realized what it was.

It was the necklace.

The necklace that we had crossed an ocean for. The one that would get us out of her, to where the Norse gods were hiding.

Olivia had her mission, to get the necklace.

I had my own.

I took a deep breath as I turned and walked back down the tunnel. I walked slowly, careful not to be too loud and send echoes back into the chamber where Ragnar was sleeping.

My mission was to create an alliance with the hidden Gods.