11- Snakes on a plane

"How long until we reach the airport?" I asked after an hour of driving.

We were driving to Richmond, Virginia where we would board a plane and fly to Hopedale, New Foundland and Labrador, which was a province in Canada. After landing there we would board a boat that would take us all the to Paamiut, Greenland where we would figure out what to do next.

"We have about another hour and forty five minutes of driving." Hope said as she glanced out the rearview mirror. "Why?"

"I'm bored, I hate car trips. I'd rather be in the air."

"Fitting for a son of Zeus." She chuckled. "You look pretty comfortable anyway, you'll be fine."

She was right, I was comfortable. Olivia had managed to turn herself onto her hip and wrap her arms around my right arm while she laid her head on my shoulder and completely zonked out about twenty minutes into the trip.

Landon and Rafael were both sound asleep against their respected windows of the Jeep.

"Remember when we first met?" Hope asked me pulling my attention away from Olivia.

I nodded. "Of course, you don't have a dream and then wake up with a voice in your head telling you to find a dead girl that no one seemed to remember."

She snorted and laughed a little. "Do you know how crazy I thought you were when you told me about the voices and the vision?"

My mouth dropped. "You said that was completely normal."

"I was only trying to keep you calm and keep you talking. I mean you randomly show up being the only person who knows who I am what am I supposed to think?"

I shrugged. "Maybe that I'm trying to help and not a creepy stalker rapist." I said laughing.

"Honestly, I figured you were some kind of monster and not a creep."

"Look at us now. Just a couple of best friends saving the world."

"Twice." She corrected me.

"I have a feeling it's going to be more than twice, promise me one thing." I said to her.

"What's that?"

"That when the war comes, you two and the rest of the school stays out of it. Its mine and Olivia's war, I don't want you guys drug into it."

She shook her head. "No can do. Your family Ash, whatever you guys go through... we go through together."

She had a point.

I did a one arm shoulder shrug. "Fair enough."

She fixed the rearview mirror. "Besides, don't you think you guys have already drug us into your business."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I guess so."

We sat in silence for a few minutes before Hope spoke up again.

"Have you decided what you're going to do about her?"

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. "I don't feel like talking about it right now."

"Okay, that's fine." Hope said before I fell asleep.

***
Olivia gripped the arm rest as the plane lifted off the runway.

I laughed a little.

She turned and glared at me, her face was sickly pale.

"Don't like planes?"

She shook her head. "First time."

"Well, if it helps just remember I can fly if we blow up." I chuckled.

She socked me in the arm. "Not helping."

Olivia and I were sitting by ourselves with no other passengers in the third seat while Rafael, Landon, and Hope sat across the plane.

"I'm going to take a nap. Wake me as we're landing."

She nodded slowly, we had already showed the flight attendant our passports and were cleared for the long flight ahead of us.

I had only been asleep for a few hours before Olivia shook me awake.

I opened my eyes groggily and looked at her. "What's up?"

"Shhh." She whispered.

I looked outside, it was pitch black out and was obviously night as we flew over the snowy ground.

"Do you hear that?" She asked me.

I closed my eyes and tuned my hearing throughout the plane.

She was right.

There was something on the plane.

Hissing sounds came from the direction of the woman on the back left of the plane. She had green hair and orange eyes from what I could see.

I returned facing the front of the plane and acted normal.

"Green haired woman with orange eyes, back left of the plane."

"What do you think she is?"

"Some sort of snake is all I can tell." I said standing up. "Follow my lead."

Olivia nodded understanding. "Great. Snakes on a plane."

I stretched obnoxiously so that I would catch the woman's attention.

"I'm going to head to the bathroom quick." I said rather loud as I headed towards the small back hallways near the rear of the plane.

Just as I suspected the woman rose from her seat and follow me into the hallway.

"Achilles Walker." She hissed.

"And who are you supposed to be?" I questioned.

Hundreds of hisses filled the air. I looked in the mirror on the ceiling that was used for surveillance purposes and saw what was happening.

Her hair had turned into a hundred green snakes.

"You're a gorgon." I concluded.

She roared. "I am The Gorgon."

"Ah Medusa, Thank you for confirming that. Now I know that I can't make eye contact." I said summoning my sword.

I used my swords reflection to dodge her attacks as she neared.

I was seriously hoping Olivia was nearby.

"Where's the necklace Walker." She hissed as I continued to dodge her blows.

"I don't know and even if I did I wouldn't tell you." I growled as I rolled forward as her snakes came down from above.

"Oh well, Hyperion still has a large sum on your head. Dead or alive."

I saw from the reflection of my sword that Olivia was sneaking up behind Medusa.

"I guess you won't be returning then." I said spinning around and pulling my shield out causing Medusa to flinch backwards at the suddenly movements.

I made no eye contact as my shield blocked my field of view. Medusa backed straight into Olivia who brought her twin daggers down into Medusa's neck and sliced her head clean off her body.

Both parts of her body burst into golden dust before they hit the ground.

"Thanks for the assist." I said to her.

"Not like you need it." She said wiping her daggers off. "It looked like you had it handled."

I shrugged.

"Let's head back to our seats and get some sleep."