Chapter 19 - Hiccup

Start from the beginning

"Shut up Tuff!", Snotlout spits.

"*dramatically gasps* YOU can NOT say the 'S' word in the presence of a child!", Ruffnut bends down to cover Zephyrs ears.

"Zeph, do you want to go on a Hidous Wippleback scavenger hunt with us?", Ruff asks in a motherly tone that I didn't think was possible coming from her.

I guess it was a matter of time. Once Heather disappeared off the face of the Archipelago, Fishlegs completely gave up on the possibility of him and her finally being together. Ruff and Fishlegs were married about 6 months ago now. I must say it has changed the both of them in ways I can't even explain.

"YEAH!!!", Zephyr shouts.

"Don't forget your notebook and Toothless doll to go with you", Astrid instructed and the little red-head runs into the house.

"Uh...erm... stay close to your aunt and uncle!", I nervously add.

"You'll go with them right? Make sure they don't get any of them killed", I whisper to Fishlegs and he chuckles.

"Of course Chief. We'll have her back by supper"

The twins hold each of Zephyr's hands and they run into the forest.

"Hiccup, they will be okay. She's fearless!", Astrid stands beside me crossing her arms. She knew exactly where my mind was going. It's incredible that my little girl is as bold and curious as her mother, but that also terrifies me.

"That's what scares me", I say and she punches my arm.

"Hey! I've made it this far in life! Besides, she's more like you; intuitive, sensitive and smart. She analyzes things before she speaks or acts", she says with proud eyes.

I feel her smile fade as she looks over at me staring into the woodland area.

"Hiccup, she'll be fine. At least Fishlegs is with them", she lifts a hand towards the now ant-sized figures in the trees.

I nod, "true".

"Come on my love, don't be over-protective. This gives us some time to ourselves too", she wraps an arm around my torso and kisses my cheek.

I pull her in for a tight side hug.

"Well after planning a bit more of her birthday celebration, what do you say we have some adventuring of our own?", I look at Astrid with wild eyes.

She looks up at me with a lifted eyebrow and a faint smirk.

———————————————

"Oh! Nice shot M'lady!", I applaud my wife upon her axe striking a tree.

We had hiked up the westside of the island looking for more herbs to have in our kitchen. A wild adventure I know, but that's what happens when you're grown up.

Her and I stopped on a nice cliff-top that over-looked the village built into the island below and the ocean.

The sun wasn't too close to setting but it was on its way to plunging behind the horizon.

I take a loaf of bread and jug of water from my satchel and Astrid comes to join me on my spot on a large boulder.

"Thank you. It always feels good to exercise the old arms. However, lifting Zephyr up and down the last two years has helped me keep up some muscle", she says and I chuckle.

"She's so incredible. It's just amazing to see bits and pieces of ourselves come out of her as she grows older. Not to mention her own twist in her personality", I say as Astrid sits close to me.

"I know. She's going to be so much more than you and I ever will be. I have faith in that", Astrid says as she's gazing at the sun climbing downward.

"It's because she has you as a mother", I say taking a bite of bread.

"And you as a father. A father that has changed his tribes hearts for the better multiple times. A father that leads them diligently. As will she"

My heart is beating wildly in my chest as I pull my wife into my arms and she leans into my chest. I can feel her pulse in her temple as I lay my head on hers.

There have been so many moments that we have shared on cliffs like this. It feels all too cliche, but I think it gives us a higher perspective on things. To get the big picture and find a way to make it better. Not to mention it gives us time to be alone with our thoughts and share them privately.

"I love you, Astrid. I love our life here. It finally feels like this is the norm and I'm absolutely at peace with it", I say in her ear.

"I love you Hiccup. Me too", she looks up at me with those blue orbs.

The passion within them makes my breathing stumble every single time they gaze into my soul. The same way they did when we were 15 years old. I will never get used to how she makes me feel or how greatly she sees me.

I love this woman with all of my heart.

She kisses me intensely and I follow suit, making me melt even more than before.

Nine whole years and she still has the same effect on me.