Chapter 49

"God...it's been so good to hear from you," Meg said. I checked the phone. We had been on the phone for almost 4 hours at this point. I turned around on the bed, turning away from the window.

"It really has, Meg," I sighed. We had talked about everything from where we are now, to old memories of our times together.

"Y'know, if you talk to Eun-mee any time soon, we should hang out," Meg said.

"I think you're right," I smirked. "We should go out. Like old times."

"Exactly! Have a fun night!" Meg cheered.

"Yeah!" I cheered back.

"I still can't believe you're with...well...Jumin Han!" Meg chuckled. "Maybe our next night out will be your bachelorette party!"

"I don't know, Meg. Aren't I a little too...young?"

"Oh hell yeah! But being young means making stupid decisions!"

"I would rather one of my stupid decisions not be getting married to a billionaire," I sighed.

"That makes sense too. Well, the two of you could always take a break if you're not sure! Just a little while and figure it out!"

"I always forgot how rational you were," I smirked.

"I wasn't even the rational one!" Meg cheered back.

Oh right. Meg was always bubbly and a little bit of a ditz. On the other hand, Eun-Mee was a bit of a rebel soul, always waiting for some authority figure to give her a rule just so she could break it. I was the rational one. In fact, on most of our nights out, I was the designated driver. Those nights out didn't last for long...only about a year.

I can't let myself get swept up in Meg's impulsivity. But maybe she's into something. In fact, this whole marriage thing is pretty impulsive anyway. I mean look at my parents. They were incredibly impulsive, and where did that get them. I felt my anxiety building.

"Yeah. But I think you're right. Maybe we should take things a bit slower."

"No harm in making sure you're on the right path," Meg answered. God, she's always so good at making terrible ideas sound good.

"Sure, sure," I sighed.

"I think I'm going to go take a break from life. Call Eun-Mee! Let's get back together!" Meg announced.

"Hell yeah!" I announced back. Meg laughed and hung up. I smiled, walking downstairs. I prepared Elizabeth breakfast and sat it out for her perusing pleasure. Sashimi, of course. Perfect for the darling girl.

I stared at the phone, a tad bit nervous to call Eun-mee. I would never tell Meg this, but Eun-mee and I were closer than anything. After college, we never really spoke. But those years we spent together were magic. We understood each other better than anything in the world. Or so I thought. Time and distance really do speak volumes, huh?

I pressed dial and waited for the tone. Straight to voice mail. Her voice was deep and rowdy as usual.

"Hey. It's Eun-mee. Leave a message. I'll get back."

I sighed and prepared to speak. "Hi, Eun-mee. It's Miran. I wanted to know if you would like to hang out. With Meg. Like old times."

I hung up.

Or maybe I'm just inflating things. Like I said, after that first year, we didn't spend much time together. Everyone tended to go their own separate ways, save for the few times in between we would get together. We're we even really friends at all by the time we graduated?