Chapter 16

I have seen many storms in my life. Most storms have caught me by surprise, so I had to learn very quickly to look further and understand that I am not capable of controlling the weather, to exercise the art of patience and to respect the fury of nature.

Paulo Coelho

~

Inappropriate Workplace Affair between Jumin Han and Assistant

Is Jumin Han Dating a Co-worker?

Jumin Han Under Fire After Seen Kissing Coworker

That's all I could think about after that moment. Not the euphoria I was brought by Jumin nearly kissing me, but the repercussions if he had. Thank God they were all in my head, but imagine! Just imagine what would be said about me, let alone him. Although, I have to wonder. Is that what stopped him, or did something else?

I couldn't believe that just happened. I kept staring where he walked in, and I wondered if my apartment was messy. There was nothing out of place, or even really set apart from the rest, so that eliminated that. I don't know what made him stop, I just absolutely wish he hasn't. He hasn't called me either. Dear God. What will Jaehee say?

"Yes, Jaehee. Jumin almost kissed me. No...let's not report it to HR."

I can just imagine it now. Oh, it's so awful yet amazing. Jumin Han nearly kissed me. I still can't get over it. I'm so jubilant, he might as well had kissed me. I went to bed that night trying not to think about him but eventually imagining what it would feel like to kiss him.

I can only imagine his lips taste like red wine, and that he's somewhere between passionate and gentle. I can only imagine that his bangs would tickle my forehead and that his arms would wrap around waist. I can only imagine.

~

4 days passed and I only ever saw Jumin go into his office, and leave. Jaehee tried to ask me why he was acting so strange. I didn't tell her what happened, but I so wanted to. She seemed genuinely concerned for him. I had been so caught up in the moment that when I came into work Friday, I ignored the red paper on my computer. Mr. Park came in and looked at me concerned.

"Why are you still here, Assistant Bae?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" I responded confused.

"You're off for the quarter. Leave with no pay. I'll contact you when I can bring you back on," he said heading into his office.

I had been so caught up with Jumin almost kissing me I completely ignored why he was at my apartment in the first place. This all started with a job offer. A job offer in case this very thing happened.

I sighed and collected all of my things, glancing down at the red paper. I sincerely doubt Jumin will make me his veterinary assistant after the incident, so at least this paper says its temporary. 3 months leave. No pay. At least.

Jaehee looked at me as I left. "Where are you going?" She asked.

I showed her the red slip. "Shouldn't...you be seeing Mr. Han then?" Jaehee asked.

"I guess there was a change of plans," I said shrugging.

"I sincerely doubt that. Mr. Han is out for lunch right now, but I'll try to talk some sense into him when he returns," Jaehee said.

"Thanks for the effort, but it's not necessary. I'll call you soon," I said, heading towards the elevator. I pressed the call button and when it arrived, Jumin was inside, presumably coming from his lunch break. We made awkward eye contact.

"So...fired?" He asked walking out the elevator.

"Temporarily," I said. "Do you play golf?"

"A little. Its the classic sport of guys who have too much money."

"Well...I heard you should always follow through on a swing. No matter how bad of an idea it seems to be, its better than giving up," I explained.

"Good thing I'm not one to give up. Don't worry, Miran. I just have to find a way," he said, leaving.

I sighed and stepped into the elevator. I'm going home.

For once, the sun wasn't set and I could do what I wanted. Of course, that's not very positive when you don't want to be. I decided to call my father.

"Hey, dad."

"How's it going, Miran?"

"Well...I'm going home."

I could hear him deeply sigh. "So...didn't go as planned?" He asked.

"Not exactly. I don't think I'm out of a job yet. I think I'm just a little lost."

"Why exactly aren't you starting your new contract yet?" He asked. I could hear his suspicion in his voice.

"I'm not sure. I think he has a different issue going on. I might just have to trust him."

He didn't respond for a moment. "I know you like him, and I know he likes you. I'm not an idiot, Miran," My father said.

"Dad. That's not at all true," I said strictly into the phone. He was the last person who should know what happened.

"You may not want to believe it, but I surely do. I'm not mad at you, Miran. You're both adults. Just call me when you're sending out wedding invitations," my father said, somewhat serious, and somewhat joking.

"Y'know next time I want to complain, I'll just call mom," I explained.

"Oh? Did you call to complain? I don't even like hearing complaining. Please do call your mother next time," my father said, with discernable irritation.

"Well, she likes it less than you do."

"All the more reason."

Like I said, my parents didn't divorce on the best of terms, so I wasn't surprised that my father wanted me to torture my mother by complaining. I'm sure he didn't remember that my mother hated me working for C&R. She would love hearing that I got fired. I haven't even told her about the new offer from Jumin. For all I know, she thinks I got the job the first time.

I never find a reason to call my mother. In all of her wisdom and knowledge, she is a very uninteresting person. To be such an average woman, however, she certainly hasn't lived an average life, especially with my father around. He is not one to watch life from the sidelines.

I think sometimes that my birth was the reason for their rocky marriage. Not that I was a bad child, or that I was an issue. Just to say that fatherhood and pregnancy weren't on my father's bucket list. He was young, making a lot of money, and wanted to spend time with a beautiful woman. He got that for two years, and before he was 30, had a daughter. He probably wanted to keep living his life at least until he was 30. But, here I was, bringing him back to reality. Or at least, there my mom was. I think they must've started arguing during the first few months of pregnancy and never stopped. They must've been ready to divorce before I was even born, but they stayed together until I went through a bit of college. I think that was partially my mother. She isn't one to give up, at least not until she absolutely has to. She will refuse to give up until every reason not to has been exhausted.

I think I took that from my mother, while I took my father's need to have a life. I never want kids explicitly for the reason that I need a sense of living my life for me, not someone else. My father isn't even 50 and he feels like having a child limited his options to some degree. Having a family meant he couldn't move to Peru, or Nepal, or South Africa, or...at least he would never convince my mother too.

So, here I am. Never a burden, but never a blessing.