Chapter 22

Knock knock knock!

Oh no. It's go time, people. I jumped up and put on my heels. Why is he so friggin tall?

When I got to the door, it was Jumin surrounded by body guards. He was in a suit, because...of course. "You look beautiful," he said quietly, taking my hand. "And you haven't slammed the door on me yet."

"Oh, shush, Jumin. My parents were here! Is the media around?" I asked with intense anxiety.

"I have them distracted. The bodyguards are here just in case, okay?" Jumin said, trying to calm me down.

"I'm sorry, I'm just overwhelmed," I explained.

"You would tell me that's okay, and offer to help. So. It's okay. How can I help?" He asked.

"Don't worry about me," I explained. "I'll get over it."

We packed into the elevator and went down to his car. I was terrified on the paparazzi, but Jumin wasn't. When I got into the car, I took a deep breath.

"I take it that stressed you out," he said.

"What tipped you off?" I asked sarcastically.

"Your sigh," he said, seriously. His obliviousness is...charming.

We arrived at the dinner location, and all I can think about is that I'm on a date with Jumin Han! I mean...this is real! No matter how many times I pinch myself, this is real! I took another deep breath.

"I'm sorry this stressed you out so much. I wish things could be a little normal," He said, patiently.

"Jumin, I'm fine. I'm overwhelmed with a thousand different emotions, and most of them are positive," I explained.

He gave a soft smile. "I know this has been ridiculous. I have been ridiculous. I will get you a job-"

"Jumin, frankly, I don't care about that right now. Can we just...go on a date?" I asked.

"Yes. I will try not to be exaggerated. My apologies."

A few minutes went by in dead silence. I'm not going to lie. It was...uncomfortable, for me at least. He seemed rather numb to it. "What are you thinking about?" I asked.

"Just Rika. And V, for that matter."

"How has V been doing anyway?" I asked. I barely remembered him as one of the hosts at the last party, but he was clearly close to Jumin.

"He's...not doing well. He's injured, and I...shouldn't say more."

"Why?" I asked.

"It's not a matter for you," he said, sharply. I took that as him needing privacy, and tried to avoid the actual sting it gave. I knew he couldn't mean it in a rude manner, so much as a strict one.

"I understand," I replied.

"Thank you," he answered much more softly. Again, he gave me a soft smile. His smiles looked so...disappointed. Almost as though they were for his own reassurance. Like...he was saying "I am okay," to himself, instead of just smiling naturally.

We sat in silence, but this time, more comfortable. Well...not comfortably, so much as necessarily. We needed silence right now. Talking would lead to something tragic, it seemed like. The restaurant was in a hotel, on the 34th floor. Before we even arrived, those were enough clues to tell me what sort of restaurant this was. Fancy, and expensive.

When we finally arrived, Jumin seemed worried. Looking around, I could see why. We had made it into the restaurant without incident, but with the number of people around...it seemed like dinner would end in a million photos. The restaurant was crowded, and despite none of them noticing us yet, they likely would soon.