Chapter 9 - Hiccup

Start from the beginning

"What did Chieftess Astrid give everyone?!" One little girl asks.

"Well. You see, dragons had to go off to their nesting grounds during Snoggletog season to have their eggs and hatch their babies" I start off.

Their eyes are glued to me as I continue.

"The very first year they lived among us, we didn't know that they did this. So we were worried that our dragons just... left us!

Toothless stayed behind because he couldn't fly on his own at the time. But you guys know the traditional story of the gift he gave me that year; let's save that for the banquet tomorrow night.

We begin to notice that your teacher, Fishlegs, was snooping around and hoarding lots and lots of fish!

Later the others break into his dragon stall, and they find Meatlug hiding in there! He was trying to keep her on the island because all the other dragons had flown off. She breaks out and I jump on her back to see where she was headed"

"Mr. Chief! What was Astrid's gift?!" One impatient boy shouts from the back.

"I'm getting there!

Anyways they find that Meatlug had laid eggs in a nest.

Due to the dragons being gone, Astrid had tried to cheer everyone up with the Yak-nog she made but that didn't work. (Gagging at the memory). So, she had the great idea to hide the Gronkle eggs in homes all around the village. Spreading a little holiday cheer.

But, when I was on the nesting island after Meatlug landed there, I noticed something very... alarming..." I pause for effect.

Every single face is sparkling with awe and wonder.

"I found out... that Gronkles put their eggs in pools to hatch because...

THE EGGS EXPLODE!", I shout trying to match the voice Astrid had years ago.

The kids jump off of the benches in a complete frenzy.

"OH NO!"

"BOOM"

"DID THEY BLOW UP THE VILLAGE?!", they all ask at once.

The guys behind me are laughing at our childhood memory.

"Yep! That's right, my wife, Chieftess Astrid brought us the most explosive Snoggletog ever!"

Everyone is all riled up and giggling.

"That's a good one chief! Thank you for a nice close on our term until after the holiday!

Alright kids! Everyone is dismissed! Enjoy Snoggletog with your families!" Fishlegs dismisses the class and they clear out within moments and several screams.

He gathers his things and Snotlout walks over.

"Knowing this is our first holiday without the dragons, I'm surprised at how well you're handling", Snotlout says.

I'm surprised at his curiosity but I'm thankful, "Yeah. I mean, we are moving forward and we all have each other. That's what's important".

He pats me on the back. Sure Snotlout will always be... SNOTLOUT. But he really has grown some since the Migration.

"Hey, how's Astrid been feeling? She's going to make it to all the festivities right? I haven't seen her much", Fishlegs asks.

"Oh she's actually been better. I'm going to meet her at the Clifftop for lunch. She wants to give me her gift early!" I smile excitedly to see my wife.

Fishlegs and Snotlout share a quick glance at each other that revealed a knowledge between them.

"What?"

"Huh? Oh... nothing. I just think you'd better head off then", Fishlegs tells me in his giddy tone.

"Oooooohhhkay? Well, off I go then", I say awkwardly leaving the Hall.

———

I walk away from the houses and I see the clifftop in the distance. I see a pretty looking blonde head sitting on a blanket and there's a basket full of food.

I finally reach her.

"Hey babe" she smiles widely with cheeks rosier than the red decorations just a mile behind me.

"Hello M'lady" I sit and kiss her lips quickly.

She sets out lunch and I watch her intently as she neatly sets the utensils and condiments out. I sit like this for about a minute until I break the silence

"You're methodical about this", I giggle and I put my hand on her hand.

"Oh yes. Just me pro-longing the time until I reveal the gift I want to give you", she says batting my hand away and opening the jar of jam.

"Oh come on Astrid! What is it?!", I plead and she stops.

She looks at me with such a gorgeous glow in her face. Pure joy within her eyes, easily hiding the fear of what I think the surprise could possibly be.

She reaches beside her and hands me a little box.

I look at her with a questioning eyebrow.

I open the lid.

And there I saw, a little hand-sewn, stuffed Toothless, with a little rattle tied within its arms.

"ASTRID ARE YOU...?", I ask almost scaring her half to death.

She nervously giggles and nods her head. Tears filling her eyes.

"OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, I AM GOING TO BE A FATHER!" I jump up and my metal leg catches on the blanket, sending my face to the ground.

Astrid is laughing hysterically at my clumsy self.

I sit up and pull her into my arms, kissing every inch of her face.