Second Chance At Love: Chapter 35

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing here?" he asked me.

"Umm... shopping?" I offered. He continued to stare at me.

"No! I mean, away from NYU. Why aren't you in New York?" He asked.

The woman was still looking back and forth between us, but smartly she didn't say anything.

"I left," I said calmly.

He still had a look of complete shock on his face. "Why?"

And then his eyes seemed to flitter to the baby sleeping in the cart. Thankfully she was sleeping.

"Monica?" he asked me. He was definitely confused. I wasn't. I was pissed. God, this is awkward.

"Hmm?" I asked, shifting so I was slightly blocking Marina.

He set something in his cart and walked over so he could look at Marina.

He didn't say anything as he stared at her.

"Well..." I finally said, breaking the awkward silence, "It was great seeing you again, but I really need to get going."

"Is she mine?" he asked quietly.

I froze, "What?"

"Monica, is she mine?"

"Taylor, of course not. Has it been long enough since I left? No. It's only been like 7 months."

He sighed, "Yeah your right." Then he seemed to get angry.

"You were pregnant when you were seeing me?"

I looked at him like he was crazy. "No, of course not!"

"Then would you like to explain this?"

The woman was staring at both of us, looking a little bit frightened.

"Taylor! Chill out! I wasn't pregnant. She's not biologically mine."

"Yeah right, Monica. Don't tell me you dropped out of college and adopted. Plus, she looks exactly like you!" Yep, he was angry.

"Taylor. I'm serious. I'm not going to talk to you like this. Chill."

He took a deep breath and calmed down. But then he looked at me like he was expecting me to explain.

I sighed, "Taylor, she was my sister's. My sister died and I got guardianship over her, okay?"

Taylor's face softened, "Oh my God, Monica. I had no idea! I'm so sorry I accused you! God, I'm a bastard."

"It's okay, really. Let's just forget it." I said. I turned to the woman who was staring at both of us.

"Hi, I'm Monica," I said, sticking out my hand.

She gave me an awkward smile, "So I've heard," she said, shaking my hand.

I chuckled nervously, "Sorry about that. Taylor doesn't know the meaning of discretion," I said, flashing Taylor a glance.

She laughed, "I'm Jane. Taylor's girlfriend."

"Wow. That just makes everything more awkward," I said, making her laugh again.

"It's fine really. So I'm assuming you'd be Taylor's ex?" she asked.

She seemed nice enough.

"Yeah, we dated briefly last summer." I replied.

"Very briefly," Taylor said nervously, "Like less than a month."

"Cool it, Taylor," I mouthed.

He smiled nervously. Man he's a spaz.