-18-

Colby took my hand to comfort me, rubbing his thumb against the back of my hand

"Josh,"

I looked up at Colby's eyes and I could see there was already fire in his eyes, he knew what Josh does, everyone does.

"he touched me during the test."

Colby didn't say anything but he hugged me tight and I hugged him back. Tears started to sting my eyes and the world was a colorful blur.

"Listen, tomorrow I'll make sure this never happens again." Colby told me as we sat on the bench together. We were both missing class. I shook my head. "Please don't, I don't want you getting suspended."

"The school won't care."

He was right. I sighed, looking at the ground then at him. "Okay" I said softly. He got up and took my hand. "Let's go to class" He said and I followed him back into the school.

He walked me to my class and left as I walked in. "Where were you Jackie?" Mrs. Clemmings, the math teacher, asked. She was nice but strict.

"I... had a problem in the office."

She crossed her arms. "No pass?" She asked and I shook my head. "Well, I know you wouldn't be lying to me. But next time, have a pass." I nodded and went to my seat.

It was finally the last period, I was sitting on my phone since it was the last week of school our teacher gave us the free period for the rest of the week.

I saw Tess come up to me slowly. I turned to her and she sat down next to me. "Hey" She said softly, like she was afraid to upset me. "Were you okay earlier?" I nodded.

"Yeah, just tired from the exam," I looked towards her to see if she believed me.

"I just wanted time alone to refresh."

She did believe me, saying okay and started talking about another topic.

"So" Tess started.

"It's almost your birthday."

I didn't even realize. My birthday is the day after the last day of school. "What are you planning to do?" She asked and I shrugged.

"I dunno." I said resting my head on my hands.

"Well you have to come up with something soon! It's your 18th birthday, it's special."

I nodded. "How about we stay the weekend in Las Vegas, for your birthday and in celebration for graduating!" She offered.

"What are we going to do there? We're 18, not 21."

"I'll have it planned" She said pulling up her notes app on her phone. "And it'll be a surprise." I laughed.

"Okay."

The next day I saw Colby pull Josh aside from the hallway, going into the boys bathroom, making eye contact as he did so. I huffed and waited outside of the bathroom. Next thing I knew, Josh had a bruise on his lip and tried his best to avoid me.