-43-

Colby stared at me in silence, but it was the most painful stare I've ever saw

Colby stared at me in silence, but it was the most painful stare I've ever saw. His eyes were dark, and sad, like he will break into pieces. It was like we were both about to break though, my thoughts running around like they didn't know where to put themselves. Why was he leading Jackie upstairs? Why were they holding hands? What's happening?

Colby broke the contact and ran downstairs. I knew I had to run after him, even if I didn't want to, something just pushed me.

"Colby! Please just stop!" We we're now outside on the sidewalk. "What the fuck, Jackie!" He turned around quickly. He was crying and his cheeks were red, his whole face was red, actually. "He kissed me! I didn't know what was happening!"

"You let him!" I knew that. I should've just pushed him off in the first place. But it was like he glued me down, with no way to move, at all. I bursted into tears too. "I'm sorry, I know I should've just, pushed him away. What the fuck" I looked around frantically. "And, you and Liz, why were you heading upstairs?" He looked down and bit his lip. "Please don't tell me you guys kissed, or anything" He nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry, Jackie, I wish it didn't even happen" I cried out, and collapsed into his arms. Everything was falling on top of me so fast. I opened my eyes, expecting colors to fill my eyes, but, it was all grey. I pulled away from him. "Take me to the hotel" I said holding myself with my arms, not making eye contact. He nodded and took out his phone, probably to order a Uber.

The Uber arrived to our location and we got in, both in the backseat. Our legs facing away from each other and our heads leaning on the window. I just wanted to melt into the old leather of the seat and never feel anything again. The sniffling of Colby and my tears still silently slipping down my cheeks.

After 10 minutes of sitting in the uncomfortable car, we finally arrived. I got out and walked fast to the hotel, not even waiting for Colby.

We got into our hotel room and I instantly started packing my belongings. I threw my bag over my shoulder and finally made eye contact with Colby. His eyes were bloodshot and his hair was all over his red face. "I want to go home" I said flatly.

"What about L- never mind" He got up and picked up his keys and grabbed his bag. leaving the hotel key on the bed and we walked out.

I packed my luggage in the backseat and climbed into the front. Colby started the car and started driving.

This was going to be the longest three hours of my life.

———————————————————

"Im sorry" I was all I said after two hours of silence. The radio playing faintly. He didn't say anything, probably not knowing what to say either. He kept driving. We were both in the wrong. We were doing so well too.

"Do you um, need to use the bathroom?" He said pointing to an exit. "Yes, please" He pulled over and got off the highway through the exit. We pulled into a small gas station, it was empty and dark only the convenience store lights lit up the entire place, and some small street lights in the distance. I opened the door and a bell rang, letting the employee know we were here. "Welcome in" He said, but i payed no attention. I rushed into the bathroom stall and bursted into tears for probably the fourth time tonight. It was 12 am and we would probably get at my parents house at 1. I looked in the mirror.

I was a mess.

My hair was now in a very loose pony tail, almost falling out. My whole face and eyes were red my makeup also running down my face. I washed my face with cold water, feeling a tiny bit refreshed.

I looked at my phone, four missed calls and three text messages from Liz. I turned off my phone, I didn't even wanna see her at this point.

I walked out of the bathroom, to find Colby standing near the door. Fuck, I wished this never happened. I wish I could just run up to him and hug him and tell me everything's going to be fine, but it's not fine, and that's how it's going to be for awhile.

He looked up from his phone, he didn't smile like he normally would, he just has this blank face on, like a mask. "Ready?" Even his voice just wants me to breakdown and cry. I just nodded instead. Following him to his car. He didn't open my door for me like he would, he just got in his side and got in his car, turning it on and driving off.

————————————————-

We finally pulled into my neighborhood, I grabbed my bag from the backseat. I was ready to go at that point, but at the same time, I didn't wanna leave him. I was nervous about what him and I would be when I left the car. Would we just stop talking? Is this the end of "us"?

He stopped in front of my driveway, we both just stared straight. "Thanks for the ride" I said finally, opening my car door. As I was about to get out he grabbed my arm, still, no color, just flat gray. I looked back at him, his eyes were watering, a tear daring to escape. "I'm sorry" Was all he said and the tear finally escaped, running away from his eye. I nodded, "It's okay" He finally released my arm, I got out and closed the door. I waved at him before he put his car in drive and drove off. I was still standing in place where his car once was. Until his car went out of eyesight, I didn't go home, instead I ran to someone's house.