Epilogue

Stanford University Medical Centre

Stanford, California

August 2011

Caity

I was at the hospital for a regular weekly check up at the obstetrician. Since I only had a month left to go before the baby would arrive, I was now under close watch. Lillian was with me this time; she insisted on staying by my side now, since the baby could practically be born very soon. I was thankful for that. Without her, I wouldn't know how else I would have survived this pregnancy, especially since I was in the last few weeks now and my belly was too big to function and I was tired from being pregnant in this summer heat.

'Caity Maverick?,' a woman called. I looked at Lillian, who let out a laugh and pulled me up when I put my hand out to her.

'You're getting heavy, babe,' she said. I sighed.

'I know, I'm so done with it...' I waddled to Charlotte, who was my obstetrician and shook her hand before I entered her small office.

'Hi Cait, how are you doing?,' she asked while she motioned me to get on the examination bench. I pulled myself up there while Lillian took a seat in the chair next to it.

'I'm okay. A little done with being pregnant, though,' I laughed. Charlotte smiled and looked at her computer screen.

'So, we had some blood tests done earlier today, and we examined your urine. Eh...' She frowned when she clicked open a tab and looked at the results. 'The results came back fairly too high... Do you mind if I measure your blood pressure?' I shook my head and let her, looking back at Lillian, who shrugged. 'Caity, your blood pressure is slightly higher than we'd like to see.'

'What does that mean?,' I asked her, fumbling my thumbs around.

'Well, it could mean that you're in an early stage of pre-eclampsia, and if that's the case we might have to admit you at the hospital to keep a close eye on you and the baby.'

'Oh...' I felt my shoulders drop in defeat.

'Don't worry, we'll take good care of you both. I just want to do some more blood tests to be sure, if that's okay?' I nodded and Charlotte made everything in order, sending me and Lillian back to the waiting room.

'Lil?'

'Yeah?' Lillian tore her eyes off her phone and looked up at me.

'If I have to stay here, do you mind getting some stuff from home?' She huffed.

'Of course not! I'm here for you.' She smiled and grabbed my hand, and I looked away to hide my eyes tearing up. 'Don't worry. Everything's gonna be fine.' I nodded and sniffed my nose. I was so lucky to have Lillian around; although I would be a single mother, I knew I wasn't alone. My best friend and parents were there to support me, I didn't need – Austin.

I inhaled sharply when he suddenly popped up in my mind. I hadn't really thought about him for a while, because I had been too busy with work, getting everything ready for the baby and taking care of myself and the tiny human that was growing inside my belly. Thinking of him hit me like a bullet, and I tried to ignore the aching pain inside my body, caused by the memory of him.

'Are you okay?,' Lillian asked me. I nodded again and looked around me, trying to find something that could distract me from thinking of him. 'You sure?'

'Yeah. Don't worry...'

'Alright.' We sat in silence for a while, Lillian eyeing me in suspicion until we were called in by Charlotte again.