30.

Austin

'Hailey, what color do you want your room to be?,' I asked one morning at breakfast. There had passed almost a week since New Year's Eve, and Caity and Hailey seemed quite settled already. We had had a quiet week with the three of us, just enjoying being together as a family before I had to go into the studio and record our next album in two days.

'Purple!,' Hailey said.

'I hate purple,' Caity muttered quietly, not looking up from her laptop.

'It's her room,' I said, cocking an eyebrow at her. 'What are you doing, by the way? I thought you liked having a peaceful breakfast with us?'

'Hmm.' Caity sighed and closed the laptop, wearily looking up at me. 'I was job hunting.'

'What?' She shrugged, now trying to ignore my stare.

'I just can't sit here and do nothing, Austin. I love working. I am a nurse, I am not made to do nothing all day. I hate that.' Her eyes trailed back to mine and I smiled a little. 'And by the way, I just want to feel useful and contributing to this household.'

'What do you have so far?' Her lips curved up a bit and I saw enthusiasm take her over. She opened the laptop again and showed me a job offer for ER-nurse at the UCLA Medical Centre.

'I mean, I have all qualifications,' she mumbled. 'The only thing I could use is an additional emergency course. But other than that...' The excited glow in her eyes told me she was really serious about this. I had been thinking about telling her there was no need in her having a job, because I still made enough money for the both of us. But her excitement and drive to keep doing her job as a nurse was enough for me to just stimulate her to go for it.

'So... you're gonna send them a resume?,' I asked, finishing my toast and wiping my hands on my jeans. Caity nodded.

'If you agree with it?' She looked a bit insecure. I huffed and frowned.

'Why wouldn't I?'

'I don't know... I had the impression you liked it better if I'd just stay home.' Caity fumbled on her pyjama and bit her lip. I got up and took our empty plates.

'I would never hold you back in chasing your dreams, Cait, because you always did the same for me,' I said, bending down and kissing the top of her head. She smiled and cupped my cheek with her hand, looking up at me.

'Thank you.' I pecked her lips and walked into the kitchen, putting the dishes down and looking at the clock.

'Shit... I really gotta go now.' I had to meet Patrick, the band and our producer David to get things started before recording, and knowing L.A. traffic in the morning, it would be a nightmare to get there in time.

'Daddy, when are we going to shop for my room?,' Hailey asked surprised.

'Eh... Tomorrow, baby. I don't have any time today.' I hurried into the bedroom and got changed quickly before walking back into the living room, searching for my belongings.

'Cait, have you seen –' She smiled and handed me my phone, wallet and keys. 'Thanks. And do you know where –' She put my note book in my backpack and gave it to me. 'Thanks...'

'Now go,' she said, softly pushing me to the door. 'Drive safe.' Caity kissed me. I smiled and got out.

'I'll see you tonight.'

'Text me when you're coming home.' I nodded and headed down to my car, cursing myself for forgetting about the time and being late. I hated being late, and I hated the rushing even more.