7.

Caity

It was a bright, warm, sunny day and Hailey had woken up early in excitement. Today my baby turned four years old. Lillian had stayed over for a few days and had been sleeping on the couch. It was just like four years ago, when we had been living together for a short while in this same apartment. Lillian had stayed over for a couple of months just to help me out with a new born Hailey.

Last night we had decorated the living room and Hailey's chair at the dinner table, where she now sat, happily munching on her Lucky Charm cereals. I had planned on celebrating her birthday with a picknick in the park nearby; my parents would take care of the food and snacks, and I would bring some balloons, presents and the cake. I listened to Hailey chitchatting to Lillian while they both enjoyed their breakfast. It was like Lillian had never been away for more than eight months, because we had just picked up where we had left.

I quickly took a shower, did my makeup and hair and picked my outfit carefully, changing a few times until I was pleased with how I looked in my white lacey dress with straps, which fell unto my knees. I put on my pink, low cut Converse and walked out to Hailey and Lillian. Lillian whistled.

'Trying to impress someone today, are we?' She wiggled her eyebrows and I rolled my eyes.

'No,' I answered, while my heart screamed YES!

'You look good, babe.' Lillian brought their bowls to the kitchen and started washing them.

'Mom, how long until we go?,' Hailey whined at my leg. I picked her up and put her on the kitchen counter. Kissing her head, I tickled her until she bursted out in laughter. 'How lo-hong?!'

'We're leaving in an hour, baby. Be patient.'

'Can I have a present already?'

'No.'

'Mom!' I stuck out my tongue and started to pack some stuff, until I heard my phone buzz.

Austin: 'Mind if I take someone with me?' I frowned. I didn't really want strangers on Hailey's birthday party, but I could imagine Austin didn't want to come all the way alone.

Caity: 'No, it's fine. Who is it?'

Austin: 'My girlfriend.' My fingers lacked strength when I read his text and I dropped my phone in horror. His girlfriend?! Had I been so fucking stupid the last few weeks? Had I missed something?

'Are you okay?,' Lillian asked, while staring at me.

'I'm...' I picked up my phone and opened Austin's texts again. He had send me another.

Austin: 'Kidding, it's Alan, my best friend. He's in the band too. He knows about Hailey now.' My shoulders dropped and I started laughing frantically.

'Caity, what are you doing?'

'Nothing.' I lamely waved my hand at Lillian and went to my small balcony, dialing Austin's number on my way to there. 'You are such an asshole,' I said as soon as he picked up. Austin laughed.

'Do I sense some jealousy?,' he teased.

'No.' I smiled nevertheless, hearing a vague noise like he was in his car, with a soft radio playing on the background while someone sang along. 'Did you pick up your phone while you're driving?'

'Eh... Yeah.'

'Way to go, Carlile. Hang up! I'll see you soon.'

'I'll be there in an hour and a half.'

'If you survive driving and calling at the same time.' He chuckled.

'I will.' Then he hung up. I shook my head and went back in, making sure Hailey would get dressed. Lillian combed and braided Hailey's long, dark curls and then we left to pick up the cake and the balloons. Hailey quabbled in her backseat the entire time, her enthusiastic high pitched voice filling the car while Lillian and I laughed about her.