30

Maya

I slammed Jahseh's car door, keeping my head down. I sniffled through my nose and grabbed my headphones out my clutch wallet.

Jah hasn't spoken to me since we left Popeyes and I explained to him what happened. It hurt and drove me crazy at the same time trying to figure out what he was thinking or what was going on inside his head. 

Anything could be going on inside his head.

I didn't hear another door slam, meaning that Jah didn't bother to get out. He said he wasn't coming back inside, but before I thought he was joking. Now he really wasn't going to come back. Everyone could tell he was not in the mood to be in school and would probably snap at everyone that tried to talk to him.

I began to walk towards the school doors and he sped off and disappeared down the street. I didn't want to be here either. I didn't want to have to talk to anyone, not even Stoke or Eve. I wouldn't be able to focus on my work because Jah would be the only thing I would be thinking about and how to get things the way they were before. How they were just a mere two hours ago.

I began to regret coming back. I should have told him to just drop me off at my house. No one would be home anyway. 

I walked in the school, through its long hallways to my next class, sulking and listening to some sad, R&B music.

Thankfully, I didn't see Eve or Stoke anywhere, and I didn't have my last class with neither of them either. They would just keep trying to ask me if  I was. I'm not. I wish I wasn't so upset, but I'm upset like a relative just died. 

A few seconds later, I got to class and it was only half filled. I didn't know a lot of people in here, only recognized some of their faces. I sat in the front of class room, on the far left, closest to the door and put my head down.

I silently thanked the Lord when another woman, who wasn't my original teacher for the class walked in, but groaned at the sight of a stack of papers she was holding in her hands. I put my back down sniffled waiting for her to pass them out. 

One by one, she came around each student's desk and placed the thin packet on the desk. Once she reached me she placed the packet near my elbows and did something that took me by surprised and knocked me out of my sleepy, depressed mood.

She had swiftly yanked one the earbuds from my left ear and glared at me, fixing her glasses. 
"No headphones allowed in the classroom." was all she said before turning on her heel and continued to pass out papers.

A few people scattered across the room in disbelief, but then turned back to their conversations as fast as they had looked over at me.

I stared angrily at the back of her head, burning holes in her skull. I was already in a bad mood, and here this nobody go, yanking my shit out of my ears, making it worse. As a teacher, especially as a substitute, she had no right to touch me or my property without my permission.

Even though she couldn't see it, I fiercely rolled my eyes at her and plugged my earbuds back in. 

I was not here for it. Not today.

I pulled out my phone and went to the messages between Stoke and I.

me - hey do you think you can drop me off at home? i'm not feeling it and this bitch is blowing my nerves.

delivered 1:41 p.m.

Within a minute, he had responded, thank God for that.