1

Maya's POV

As I stared out the window of the airplane, I wondered if life down here in Florida would be any better than it was in New York. Because somehow, I'm starting to regret it. 

I mean living with my aunt that I've only seen only twice in my whole life.  This is all so sudden. And weird.

Then, my mind drifted off into a place. A painful place and time. And I'm still hurting so bad from what happened just two and a half weeks ago. I miss my brother so much.

Flashback:

"Yo,  Maya, I'm goin' out ! I'll back later!"

"Where are you going? And what do you mean later? It's nearly 11 at night!" I yelled from the living room. He's always going somewhere with his lil' gangbanger friends. I worry about him every time he leaves.

"I'll be fine cupcake don't worry about it, aight?"

"Hmm, ok!" I agreed, focusing my attention back on the TV.

Only about 10 minutes later, I heard loud, gunshot noises. They were really loud because they were dangerously close to my house. I got up fast, and went under the table. Then after a few seconds, it was silent. Like dead silent.

I slowly got up from fetal position and cautiously made my way to the front door.

I looked up and down the street, in all directions to make sure the shooter was gone. Then I heard a gun shot and moved out the doorway when I saw a bullet fly past me and it grazed my arm.

I put my hand over my mouth and shrieked in pain.

I looked around to see where the bullet came from, and when I looked to my left, down the street, I saw the most unpleasant sight I've ever seen.

My brother, my older brother, the only family I had left, was shot dead in his chest. His blood on the sidewalk running into the storm drain.

I dropped to my knees, completely ignoring my own pain and bleeding, I sat there on my knees. Emotionless. I blankly stared at him from down then street. 

What just happened? 

When reality had set in and I realized the situation in front of me, I began to cry. I cried and cried on the street, I screamed and cried some more. I didn't care if people stared either. My brother was dead.

I did this everyday since then.

End flashback

I felt a tear slip down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away and scolded myself. "No no no no no you don't. Don't do this here. Not in front in public".

To calm myself down, I decided to listen to some music. I plugged in my earbuds and listened to some Bryson Tiller. He always calms me down.

Next thing I know, I'm knocked out, with a dry tearstain on my cheek.

🥀

I awoke to someone tapping my shoulder. An old woman.

"Hey excuse me miss. I'm sorry to disturb you, but the plane has landed and everyone is getting off." the lady said politely.

"Oh! Thank you so much for waking me up," I said gathering all my belongings.

I walked off the plane  with all my bags and I entered the overly crowded and loud lobby. Oh geez, I hate this. I searched the continuously moving crowd over and over for my aunt.

I then saw this big sign that said "Maya K" and holding it, a lady with a lot of curly hair , thin eyebrows and had a not so thin hips. She also held a cigarette in her hand. Typical.

I walked towards her and spoke to her.

"Um, hi, are you Malaysia Kelly's older sister?"

"Who's asking? Are you Maya?" she said with a little attitude.

"Uh, yea, I'm Maya." I said eyeing her.

"Good. Les' go. " turning on her heel, she just left me with all of these bags. The fuck is her problem?

Mm, I can tell I'm going to enjoy this stay, I thought sarcastically, lugging all of my luggage to her car.

~~~~

That's a wrap! What yall think ?

remember, like, comment, vote, share!