26

Maya's POV

We had finally made it home at a decent hour and we pulled into the driveway of our house. The clouds in the sky began to form together and grow darker, meaning it was about to rain again soon.

The humidity of the Florida air was killing me, even though it was in the evening. I was ready to get out of this dress and into the shower. Maybe I shouldn't have worn velvet.

I got out the car and headed for the truck of the car. Jah hopped out the driver's seat and followed.

"You're gonna help me?" I asked. I mentally face-palmed myself because that sounded like a really dumb question.

Like he read my mind, he gave me a look that I had just said something stupid. "Well, duh. Why wouldn't I-- you are something else, Maya." he shook his head, chuckling.

I giggled and shrugged my shoulders, getting the keys from my purse and went up to unlock the door.

A wave of cool air flew over my body and I sighed in  content, wishing I could stay in here.

Forcing myself to go outside, X and I grabbed the rest of the groceries and placed them neatly in the kitchen.

I heard footsteps and looked to see Kevin coming down the stairs.

"Hey Maya," he greeted. He then shifted his gaze over at Jah. "Friend." Jah nodded his head upwards at him.

The flatness in Kevin's voice made me laugh to myself. "Thanks for heading out to the store for me." Kevin thanked me, looking back over in my direction.

"No problem. It's the least we could do since we were already out." I gave him small smile.

He began to put the stuff away and I walked X to the door.

"Call me later?" I asked hopefully. I wrapped my arms around his neck and moved closer to him, and his hands rested on my hips.

"Of course, princess." he replied in a matter-of-fact tone. I wasn't sure how the simple nickname 'princess' could make my stomach become a gymnast, doing all these flips.

"Okay."  I said before placing a kiss on his lips. He kissed back and slid his tongue across my lip briefly before pulling away, but then pecked my lips again.

"I'll talk to you later," Jahseh winked at me before heading outside to his car.

I waved from the front door. "Bye baby,". He waved back at me got in the car and drove off.

I closed the door and leaned against it, sighing, trying to control my wild thoughts and feelings.

I noticed that Kevin had stopped what he was doing completely, with the fridge wide open, and stared at me.

My heart beat faster and harder against my chest and I chuckled nervously, briskly walking to the kitchen to help him with the stuff. 

"'Just a friend' my ass. I see the way y'all look at each other." he mumbled, chuckling. I laughed out loud at his remark and he laughed a little too.

"Calm down Kev, we are, friends." I said reluctantly. "Very well acquainted friends." I said more to myself as I put the fruits in the fruit bowl that sat in the middle of the table.

"Sure," he mused, seemingly unconvinced but he brushed it off.

We continued to put the rest of the groceries away for about 5 more minutes, until we heard the door open and I saw my aunt walk in; not looking as messy as usual, but she looked beat down.

I eyed her for a few moments more before resuming the task at hand.

"Oh! Hey Sonya, where you been?" Kevin said to her, almost sarcastically. He almost looked upset with her but I couldn't tell.