45) She Thinks We're Just Fishing

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes and left my comfortable perch walking over to Mr. Hot head.

I placed my hands on my hip, "Now what oh mighty one?" I mocked as Rupert hunched over the radio next to the steering wheel.

Dan snickered behind us and I turned my torso to give him a confused stare. He just reclined back and placed the bottle to his lips, a undecipherable glint in his eye.

"Well," Rupert said bringing my attention back to him. He stood up straight beside me and was pointing down at the screen on his phone to a page that was so confusing it looked like a legal document. "This is a-"

I didn't hear the rest of his fake explanation for my scream drowned all else. Rupert had picked me up by the waist and threw me over board.

I resurfaced the cold water with a glare and the rest of my company in a round of laughter. Tom swam around me with an adamant smile on his lips, his teeth so bright from the reflection of the sun. I shook my head at him disapprovingly and he smiled wider before splashing me then quickly dipping under the water.

I recoiled backwards, only slightly shocked by the action, before I dove down and clawed at his naked chest.

Tom sprang up out of the water, kicking away from me screaming "Ow! She is going to kill me!"

I just smiled at his playful attitude and gazed up to a smirking Rupert. My smile dissolved as soon as it appeared and I diverted my eyes from his, shaking my head. This was just what he was trying to do; put Tom and I back together.

Tom smiled at me as he smoothed his hair back. I held back an eye roll and opened my mouth, preparing to say something rude about Rupert, when something brushed up against my leg, and all that came out was a scream.

As fast as my legs could, I swam over to Tom and climbed my way around him to his back. "What the hell was that?!" I asked shakily, can there be sharks in a lake?

Tom chuckled beneath me, as Dan shook his head from the safety of the boat. Lily giggled as she leaned over the side. "It's was fishy!"

I loosened my grip on Tom's shoulder. "Huh?"

"What did we come here for Cas?" Rupert sighed dramatically as he lounged in the driver's seat.

Suddenly it clicked in my head, apparently fish still swim around you even if you disturb their environment. So I was never one for swimming in a lake, sue me.

"Well apparently we came here to swim, since that is the only thing we have seemed to accomplish!" I said stubbornly as Tom hooked his arms beneath my knees and swam us over to the ladder of the boat.

"Oh your just being a bad sport." Dan said dismissively.

As I clung to my soon-to-be-ex husband's neck I wondered, Why did I agree to this again?

"Daddy this is boring." Lily complained.

Tom brushed her hair back as she sat in his lap, both of their legs hanging off the edge of the boat a fishing rod between both of their pairs of hands. He sighed, "You have to be patient Koala."

"One of her worst qualities." Rupert said, holding his own fishing rod in his palms.

Lily stuck her tongue out at him, and he returned the favor.

Silence chased the following moments. I relaxed against the boat, smiling slightly at father-daughter bonding time, and bathing in the sun.

"Hey Tom," Dan said as he placed his phone in his pocket, "How is the project coming along?"

Hesitantly I looked over to Tom, waiting to see his reaction. His eyebrows furrowed together as he caressed Lily's arm softly and looked down at her blonde hair and bit his bottom lip. 

I didn't understand his reaction. Months ago, when he first accepted the job, he was happy. No, not just happy, he was ecstatic. He was dancing around the kitchen going on and on about how this was going to be the next big thing and how he was going to be a part of it.

Tom cleared his throat and said, smiling at Dan softly, "It's going well."

My curious gaze followed him as he kissed the top of Lily's head. His eyes slowly drifted over to mine, as if I had called him. Instead of diverting my gaze, like I should have, I stared back into his gray gaze. There was some emotion in them that I couldn't understand.

His gaze flowed down slowly before he returned his attention to Lily.

Late that night, I walked ahead of Tom to the front door of the house. I looked behind me to see Tom still walking with a sleeping Lily in his arms. "Are you sure you don't want her for the night?" I asked again as I opened the front door and stepped inside, him following me.

He shook his head as he headed for the stairs. "No, it's better if she sleeps in her own bed."

I slowly walked behind him and watched from the hallway as he tucked Lily into her bed and turned on her night light before kissing her forehead. He walked over to me and closed her door slightly. His eyes shyly looked into mine as the left side of his lips twitched upward.

He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck before he sighed and headed back down the stairs. Blinking quickly and shaking my head to clarity, I followed him.

He kept walking until his hand was resting on the door knob. He paused a moment, before turning back around licking his lips as I stood on the last step.

"About last night..." He started, staring at the floor, but I didn't let him finish.

I shook my head, "I'm sorry."

His head snapped up, eyes wide, "What?"

I shrugged, "I'm sorry. I should never have kissed you." I bit the inside of my cheek as I hesitantly rested my gaze on his.

He shook his head, "No." My lips parted and my eyes narrowed. I was shaking my head without conscious recollection of telling it to shake. He took a step forward, his eyes determined. "Don't say that."

"It was a mistake." I said slowly, wondering how he did not understand that we were being idiots.

He shook his head in quick, sharp, movements , "I don't regret it."

I sighed as I stepped down the final step. "In a way I don't either...But it was stupid and reckless. It was a mistake." I said a bit more assertively.

His jaw locked tight at my words and his eyes grew hard. Quickly he turned on his heel and walked out the door, slamming it behind him.

I felt as if I had been doused with cold water. I shivered as the darkness of the house finally registered in my mind. It was the coldest I had felt all day, and it seemed to chase away all of the warmth that had been there only moments ago.