43) I Need This

Inspired song: My skin by: Natalie Merchant 

Chapter Forty Three- I Need This

I slowly pulled into the drive way and turned off the ignition. The black exterior of Demon sitting peacefully in front of the house, was enough for my heart to start hammering against my chest.

I slowly got out of Blue Bell and hesitantly entered the front door.  As soon as the lock clicked open, and my foot stepped inside, Tom's eyes were on me. He was leaning over a box on the couch, in dark jeans and a long sleeve plaid button up shirt open wide with a dark blue v neck underneath.

Awkwardly I closed the door behind my back, and placed a soft smile on my lips. "Hi," I whispered.

"Hey" he said after a moment, then coughed awkwardly, "I'm just here to grab a few things."

I nodded, "No. I mean yeah I get it." I sighed, wanting to crack my skull against the door. Why was I so...nervous?

I saw him nod his head emotionlessly from the corner of my eye. "Where is Lil?" he asked. My eyes, which were staring at the floor, slowly made their way back up to his face.

"I dropped her off at your parents." I answered softly.

An awkward silence filled the air, as I looked around the front room trying to ignore his intense gaze upon me.

"Are you going to the party?" He finally asked, returning to packing-whatever he was packing.

I brushed my hair behind my ear. "I haven't decided yet."

Greg, an old neighbor, was having a party tomorrow night. He had invited Emma, Rupert, Dan, Tom, and myself. Dan, and recently Tom, were his neighbors now and Rupert and Emma had met him many times. I figured that Dan was going, but I had no idea about the rest of them.

Tom nodded, as he placed another book into the cardboard box. "You should go tomorrow," He said, eyeing me from the corner of his eye.

I sighed as the already mounting tension swallowed the air whole, causing my throat to close up. "Well, I'm just going to go run a few errands, so..." I shook my head and turned, opening the door slightly.

Half way through the doorway, Tom's voice caused me to stop, "Why didn't you ever say anything?" he asked.

Curiously I turned back around. He stood straight, his blue eyes seeming to pierce my very soul. "What?" I whispered, not understanding what he was implying.

He sighed, and looked at the ground for a moment before those gorgeous eyes settled back on my face. "Why did you never ask me to quit acting?" His voice  was on the verge of cracking.

I licked my lips and shook my head, almost feeling my eyes softly melt at the question. "Because I would never ask you to quit something that you love."

Tom's lips parted slightly, just enough for me to catch a glimpse of his moist tongue, and I had the sudden urge to taste his peppermint lips. Shakily, I took one last look at him before turning and walking out of the house.

Emma called the next afternoon. Even though I didn't have Lily, since she was spending the weekend with Tom's parents, I was having a very long weekend. Seeing Tom packing yesterday had put the idea in my head that I should probably start packing up the house, so that I could sell it as quickly as possible. Then thinking of that just caused me to start searching for a new place to live on the internet; and no matter how many places I found, I could always find something wrong with them. Then after awhile I would think of how I was going to support myself, because I will be damned if I take any of his money. That question would haunt me for awhile before I started to pack again and the vicious cycle would continue.