Chapter 17: Proposal

The dinner was awakward.

Really awakward.

I was eating the foos slowly and from my side, I could hear Eshan's grandpa glaring at me. Across me was seating Layla and Sayed who were giggling and looking at me.

Apparently, Aliya wasn't with me since she went to eat with Yasir in another room because the Jatt's family wanted to discuss something important with me.

Eshan wasn't there either. I guessed he was upstairs doing something. He did looked tired earlier.

"A-hem," Sayed coughed to catch everybody's attention.

I looked at Sayed and noticed him looking at me.

"Sarah, I am sorry to call you all of a sudden but," he said as she scooped out some food on his spoon and ate it. "I want to discuss something about our family."

I nodded.

The Jatt's family?

What did Sayed wanted to discuss with me about Jatt's family?

"Well, you see Sarah, we are one of the richest and sucessful businesses companies in Canada and around the world," Sayed said. "We have multiple business companies and branches."

I nodded. "I know, but what I don't understand is why are you telling this to me?" I asked. "I already know about it."

Sayed looked at Layla and she smiled and nodded to him. Then she looked at me. "Sarah, we have something important to tell you but before that, you must hear us out."

I didn't say anything.

Sayed looked at me. "You know, I am not the oldest son in this family, Sarah. Eshan is."

I raised my eyebrows. "Really?"

So Sayed got married before Eshan even though he was younger than Eshan. That's not common in most families but I guess the Jatt's family didn't had an issue with it.

I looked at Sayed and saw him nodding.

"When our company started to grow, we were all happy. Eshan was working hard and I was doing my best to keep the company going. Our company was becoming larger and larger," Sayed explained. "Until one day when we found out that our grandpa have cancer."

I looked at Sayed in shock. I turned my head to Eshan's grandpa and noticed him looking down to his food. He didn't say anything about it.

"Tension began to build in our family," Sayed continued. "I have been separated from my own parents from a very early age and I grew up with Eshan, yasir and their parents and grandpa. We had a great family relationship. Yes, we didn't had much time for each other but when we did got time, we had fun. So, when I heard about grandpa having cancer, we were heartbroken."

I nodded.

I knew what it felt like to be away from somebody you love dearly to your heart.

Memories of my own families popped in my head. Five years ago, I had everything and now, I had only Aliya. I knew what it felt to loose somebody.

Seeing Sayed upset, Layla continued instead. "Grandpa began to worry after he heard that he had cancer. He knew he won't be surviving for long. He didn't know who was going to look after the vast properly we had. He had so many dreams to fulfill and one of his dream was to hold and see his grand children before anything could happen to him."

I nodded in understanding.

It made sense.

Anybody could have such wish.

"As Eshan was the eldest, grandpa wanted him to get married," she explained. "However, Eshan's insecurities didn't let that happen. His is an workaholic and he never had his eyes for any woman. It was like he was too scared to trust woman because he was unsure if the would woman loves his money or him."

"I know what you mean," I said.

Eshan had told me about it before.

"So, as next in the line is Sayed, he was to get married soon," Layla said. "Sayed and I liked each other since our collage year and our parents knew about it. So, when grandpa told Sayed to choose a bride, we got married. However," he voice broke and I could see her eyes becoming watery. "I couldn't fulfill grandpa's wish. I . . ."

I didn't know what was going on. She looked so upset.

"I couldn't . . . I can't never be a mother," she whispered as tears ran down her eyes. "We have been trying for 2 years now but, I just can't never be pregnant."

Oh gosh!

I felt so bad for her.

She must really want to have a baby but she couldn't have it. She was so happy a while ago and now she was so upset.

Sayed wrapped his arms around Layla and rubbed her shoulder. "It's okay," he whispered. "You know, I still love you, Layla."

That made her cried harder.

I just stared at the couple.

Sayed and Layla, both seamed to be in love but they just didn't had a child.

I felt so bad for the couple.

'Allah, please bless this couple and keep them always happy,' I muttered out a prayer.

Layla whipped her tears as Sayed consoled her. "I am sorry."

"It's okay," I said. "I understand how how hard this is for you, Layla."

She didn't say anything but just leaned her body to Sayed and stayed like that. I could see her eyes still were teary.

Sayed looked at me and said, "Not having a child is okay with me, Sarah. It is all up to Allah to decide. However, since grandpa really wants to see a child before anything could happen to him and we do need a heir for this vast property, he told Eshan to choose a bride for him."

Oh, so that's why Eshan's grandpa was hunting for a bride for Eshan.

"However, Eshan refused," this time, it was Eshan's grandpa who talked. "He didn't trust woman and three time I came to Canada to choose a bride for Eshan, he rejected all the girls I choose for him. This time I also came to ask Eshan to choose a bride for him, however, because you acted to rude with me, I thought a girl who could be this brave and honest could pick the right person for Eshan. However, I didn't thought I would made you cry with my attitude, young lady."

I rolled my eyes.

So he could be rude and then when I would cry, he would have an issue?!

"I don't know what happened between you and Eshan or how close you and Eshan are but that night when he came home, he had a huge argument with grandpa," Sayed said. "That was the first time he had an argument and we were shocked. We wanted to know who was the lady that made him this crazy to have an argument with grandpa."

Layla nodded. "So, we asked Yasir and he told me about you and Aliya. Even though Sayed and I live outside of Canada, we saw yor online application and liked your photo. Your attitude is not like other girls and you are modest and a Muslim."

"So, we thought, maybe Eshan fell for the right girl," Sayed said.

My mouth dropped open.

"Eshan fell for me?!" I yelled in shock.

Since when?!

Sayed and Layla laughed.

"Eshan never said anything. But I know it," Sayed grinned. "I am his brother and hello? I have a love marriage. I know what is the first sign of love."

Layla laughed as she whipped her eyes.

"So, we flew to Canada and invited you for dinner and we are wondering . . ." Sayed said as he looked at Eshan's grandpa and then his wife, Layla, and nodded. Then he looked at me. "We are wondering if you would accept a marriage
proposal between Eshan and you."

I stared at Sayed in shock.

Um . . .
.
.
.
WHAT THE FREAKING HELL?!