Chapter 24

"Oh, my love
A thousand kisses from you is never too much
I just don't wanna stop
Oh, my love
A million days in your arms is never too much
I just don't wanna stop."
Luther Vandroos "Never Too Much"

Kobe

This car ride kind of reminds me of how it is when I'm in an Uber because there is complete silence the entire ride. I get in, the driver follows the directions on the GPS, he or she drops me off at my destination, and I give them a 5 star rating.

I'm currently driving Maia and I back to Momma's house here in Lawrenceville after we picked up a surprise for Kyrie. A few years ago, we got her this big house and it is like the perfect place to have a wedding because of the nearly 2 acre landscape behind the house. The boys and I installed a pool back there with a tall fence around it, while Momma has a garden filled with fruits and vegetables. Despite the fact that it's a gated estate, kids are free to come and play because Momma allows them. I turned to my right as I stopped at a red light to see Maia looking out the window.

"Why are you so quiet over there?"

"Nothing. You're the one who hasn't said a word since we left the dealer."

"I thought you were in a funk." I shrugged.

"I'm not. I'm just trying to predict Kyrie's reaction."

"He's going to love it. He's been talking about getting one for the longest." The voice from the Bluetooth system of Momma's Nissan Altima interrupted us.

"Incoming call from Kyrie."

"Talk of the devil." I pressed the phone button on the steering wheel to answer it. "Yo."

"Y'all been gone for a good minute. Did you get lost in your own city?"

"Never that."

"Then, where are you guys?"

"We just stopped at the gas station since the tank had a quarter of gas left."

"Okay. Well, I was just calling to see if y'all were okay."

"We are. Don't worry, we'll be back soon." Maia assured him.

"Alright, later."

"Bye. Do you think he believed us?"

"He's probably a little suspicious, but he should trust us." Suddenly, Maia's phone started ringing and it was a FaceTime call.

"Let me catch ya vibe, let's just take our time
Just relax your mind and take it easy
Don't have to decide, you do, I do, I
Don't have to be mine, let's take it easy."

"He's calling me now. He's going to know we're lying."

"Don't answer." The phone eventually stopped ringing. Then, Kyrie called her on regular.

"Hello." She answered in the sweetest tone possible, putting it on speaker.

"Why didn't you answer my FaceTime?"

"Something is wrong my camera. It's so blurry all of a sudden. I need to get it fixed." She can lie on command; I'm impressed.

"It was fine yesterday." He pointed out.

"I dropped it this morning in the sink. Now that I think about it, it's probably water damage. I should put it in a bag of rice." I had to hold in my laughter.