Chapter 3

"Every step I take, every move I make (I miss you)
Every single day, every time I pray
I'll be missin' you
Thinkin' of the day when you went away
What a life to take, what a bond to break
I'll be missin' you (we miss you)."
Puff Daddy ft. 112 & Faith Evans "I'll Be Missing You"

Maia

Nothing brings me more joy than seeing my little cutie pie having fun. The playground is one of her favorite places. I realized that we could spare some time out of our errand filled day to unwind for a while.

I used to love coming here until I had this bully who pushed me off the swings when I was 8 because she wanted a turn

I used to love coming here until I had this bully who pushed me off the swings when I was 8 because she wanted a turn. I would've beat her *ss, but that's not what Jesus would have done. I could never conquer the monkey bars either. I was just too scared that I would fall to the ground.

My Mom also never allowed me to play in the sand because of this woman she met that showed her how the sand damaged her daughter's skin by lightening it up in a few places on her legs and feet.

Lauryn, on the mother hand, enjoys the slides, merry go round, and horse springer. There's also this spider web kind of thing that kids climb. Currently, I'm pushing her on the swings.

"Let me take some pictures." I told her. She could be a model the way she loves posing and standing in front of a camera. As I turned my phone sideways and walked in front of Lozza, a call came in and I saw it was Mrs. Duncan.

"Mémé's calling." I told my baby girl before answering, causing her to get excited. She loves her grandmother; Zahair's father passed away before she was born. Lauryn sees my parents more often because they're closer, but that's where FaceTime comes in to the rescue.

"Hello?" I put the phone against my ear.

"Maia." I could hear the sadness in her voice, along with the sobs that were making her choke on the line as she tried to talk.

"Mrs. Duncan, what's wrong?"

"I don't know how to tell you this but Zahair is dead."

"Which Zahair?" I chuckled. I know she's not talking about my ex husband, the father of my child, and my college sweetheart.

"My son, Maia! Who else would I be talking about?" She cried.

"Are you serious? How did this happen?" I covered my mouth in shock. I didn't even realize I was crying until I felt the tears fall onto my hand. I looked down to see Lozza paying attention to something behind me.

Good.

I don't want her to get upset from seeing me cry. I took a quick peek to see a woman feeding the ducks by the pond.