Chapter 4

"Slow down
I just wanna get to know you
But don't turn around
'Cause that pretty round thing looks good to me
Slow down
Never seen anything so lovely
Now turn around
And bless me with your beauty, cutie."
Bobby V "Slow Down"

Kyrie

"If y'all decide to get out the car, make sure you take the keys out of the ignition." I told the two knuckleheads who are mysteriously related to me by blood, Kareem and Kobe.

" I told the two knuckleheads who are mysteriously related to me by blood, Kareem and Kobe

Kareem's on the left and Kobe's on the right. Look at my handsome self in the middle. Three guys from Atlanta who came to California in search of greener pastures.

"Why couldn't we go through the drive thru?" Kobe complained. He act like I'm leaving him in the heat. It's not even hot yet.

"You see that that long ass line while inside is empty as fuck? That's why." I replied.

"You working me." Kobe waved me off.

Whatever. I thought in my head as I headed into the Dunkin' Donuts. I know that we're wasting money buying breakfast like almost everyday since we have the same ingredients at home, but none of us is willing to cook. I get the same thing every time we come here. My brothers always get doughnuts, but I don't like them.

When I stepped inside, I saw a man getting a straw by the door. There was a lady standing on the right side of the cashier, who looked like she was waiting for her order. The line was empty, so I went straight to the front to buy our food and drinks.

"Welcome to Dunkin' Donuts. What can I get you?" The cashier asked in a cheerful voice. I promise you that when her shift is coming to an end, she won't be that happy. She's going to want to get the hell out of there. After working a few days at McDonalds when I was 16, I promised myself that I would never work at a fast food restaurant again because of the fast pace. I ended up at Safeway.

"Let me get two medium coffees with cream and sugar, a medium iced coffee with hazelnut, half a dozen of chocolate glazed donuts, and an egg & cheese with bacon on an English muffin."

"Will that be all?" She asked. I surveyed the menu and decided to get something else. That's how they get you to spend more money; four little words.

"Add some hash browns to the mix."

"Your name?"

"Kyrie."

"Okay, your total is $18.55." They may be family, but Kareem and Kobe better run me my money from this week and last week. I know they got paid on Friday. I handed the cashier a 20 and received a dollar and some change back. I wasn't really paying attention to what she said after she handed me the receipt because my eyes traveled to the lady I saw when I first walked in. She wasn't making a scene or talking loudly on her phone; she just looked familiar. I watched her collect her large frozen coffee and a brown bag before moving over to the counter where they keep straws, napkins, sugar packets, etc.