Chapter 5

"See what the enemy had planned for my downfall
Turned out to be the greatest victory of my life
'Cause when it comes at you fast and hard
There's the only one that can come and make it right
So, ain't no need for stressing and crying
'Cause he gon' show up just like He did the last time
And the last time
And the last time
I know, I know, I know, I know
(Won't he do it?)."
Koryn Hawthorne "Won't He Do It"

Maia

"He didn't leave me a dime?" Kayla yelled in the lawyer's face. I know her breath stinks. How is she going to get mad at him anyway? It's Zahair's will, not his.

I can't believe it's already been a month since his demise. Zahair's mother flew in for the reading. She's been staying in his place, getting some of his personal items like photos and clothes. I don't know what she's doing with his apparel. I would ask, but I don't want her to get offended.

Kayla better not wake up my baby because she had a roughy night because of her teething pains. Her pediatrician told me to give her Tylenol. She seems better now; Lozza just needs rest. Layla should realize that she's scaring Joshua with her unnecessary tantrums.

"No." The lawyer, Mr. Collins, blatantly replied. "Please sit down." He politely instructed her to, but she ignored his plea and turned to me.

"I hope you're satisfied."

"What?"

"You put all those evil thoughts in his mind that made him forget me in the sharing of his wealth. You know what? You can have him." She pointed at the little human siting down behind her, Joshua, as she stepped to me. I got up in her face in response.

"I advise you to get out of my face. How can you say that about your son? The one you created with a man who was once my husband and is now no more. Have some respect!"

"Obviously you weren't doing something right."

"That's no point in talking to an empty vessel like you. You need help."

"Whatever. Look, I can't wait around 16 years to get what his father left for him. I wasn't ready to take on the responsibility of being a mother. With him in my life, I can't do the things I used to do. I'm done and I don't want him any longer." Kayla strutted out of the office in defiance as if she had achieved something good. I was in utter shock and so was Mrs. Duncan, who was silently crying.

"You're going to just let her go?" I asked Mr. Collins.

"The law will take its course in this case of child abandonment. Don't worry, I'll get child services involved immediately." He picked up his phone and dialed a number. I put my arm around Mrs. Duncan to comfort her.

"One day she'll come back begging and it might be too late." I mumbled to myself. I watched Joshua who had his head down and fiddled with his fingers. I know that he'll be traumatized with the memory of his mother leaving him even if he doesn't talk about it when he grows up.

"Joshua." I rose up from my seat and went to sit next to him.

"Mommy?" He looked at the door, probably wondering if she was going to come back through it for him.

"It's going to be okay." He laid his head on my lap as I laid my head against wall, listening as the lawyer talked on the phone.

It's going to be a long day.