Chapter 18

"Blessings all pon mi life and
Mi thank God fi di journey, di earnings a jus fi di plus (Yeah)
Gratitude is a must (Yeah)
Mi see blessings fall by mi right hand
Buss a toast fi di friends weh tek off heavy load
One time did siddung ina class and we bored
Then Oli say do road and mi gwaan wid di road."
Koffee "Toast"

Maia

I can't decide; there are so many options. I'm at the Gucci store on Rodeo Drive, trying to look for some shoes for the kids to wear during tonight's event that only God made possible.

This week has been so busy this week with preparations. Despite my tight schedule, I found time to go to USC because I was asked to come and answer any last minute questions the incoming freshman had before the semester starts. As an alumna of the university, they also wanted me to give them tips on how to survive this new adventure that they are about to embark on.

With my graduation picture hanging behind me, I focused on five things I learned when I was there

1. When you move in, find some common ground with your roommate so that you two can get along. Make sure that a set of rules is established to avoid any conflicts over space, tidiness, noise, and guests. One thing you should never be afraid to do, is to request to be moved if you no longer feel comfortable in the room.

2. Stay organized as much as possible. You'll have due dates across the board when you take multiple classes. You have to stay on top of things to end up with a good grade at the end of the semester. You don't want to fail any courses because you will start going into a downward spiral. You'll think that going to college is not for you and want to drop out even though you can do it if you put your mind to your studies.

3. Always go to class even if attendance is not required. During that hour or two, the professor
can announce any changes to the due dates and test dates. I remember when I had Public Speaking twice a week and I woke up late one morning. I knew that we were supposed to have a test the next class, but when I attended class that day, I learned that the professor moved it to the following Monday. Missing class is not worth it unless you have an absolute emergency.

4. Get involved on campus by joining a club that highlights one of your interests, running for a position in student government, playing for one of the sports teams, or becoming a member of a sorority/fraternity. This will help you get over your homesickness, make new friends, and learn new skills.

5. Do not procrastinate. When you plan ahead and stick to deadlines, you won't feel so stressed. Cramming things during a small period will lead you to cut corners. You'll start cheating on tests and you won't be learning anything by doing that. Imagine you do that until you get your degree and you start working in a hospital; you could kill someone just because you wanted to take shortcuts. Enjoy every moment and take everything one step at a time because your hard work will pay off in the end.