Chapter 21

"'Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me
The vacancy that sat in my heart
Is a space that now you hold
Show me how to fight for now (You show me baby)
And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy
Comin' back here to you once I figured it out
You were right here all along
It's like you're my mirror (Oh)."
Justin Timberlake "Mirrors"

Maia

I just love weddings. I mean, who doesn't?

I used to think it was only single people who hate weddings because they're probably bitterly jealous of their relatives, friends, or coworkers who have found love, but I've heard some criticisms from a couple of people who are actually in a relationship or are married.

They believe that the couple could have invested the money meant for the wedding on a house, attending the wedding inconveniences their schedules and pockets, and too much time goes by between the ceremony and the reception for them to eat. Those are all flimsy excuses to me.

A wedding is where a person legally entrusts his or her heart into the hands of the person he or she has fallen in love with. How much money they have spent on that ceremony shouldn't be your concern unless you're paying for it yourself; the love and understanding they have in their relationship is what matters for them to have a happy marriage. If you don't support this type of union, simply decline the invitation so you don't go to the wedding and rain on the couple's parade.

Nuptials can take place in churches, vineyards, city halls, hotels, beaches, gardens, barns, and many more nontraditional venues. I went to a wedding a few years ago where one of Zahair's coworkers was getting married and it was on this huge, beautiful yacht. I'm surprised that I didn't get seasick because I usually feel dizzy and a little nauseous when I get on boats. It was overall an amazing experience that I won't forget in a hurry.

While you're supposed to have fun and help the newlyweds celebrate the commitment they just made to each other, there are some things that people shouldn't do at a wedding but they do anyway.

It does not look good when you fight other women during the bouquet toss. It looks like you're desperate to get married if you don't let the process flow naturally.

If your romantic life is a wreck or nonexistent, don't get in your feelings and keep a scowl on your face all throughout the festivities. Forget all the negative things in your life for one day and have fun. That doesn't mean get drunk and get hold of the mic to start ranting about how miserable you are.

You know how Gucci and his wife Keyshia said that everybody had to wear white and if you weren't Caucasian, your hair had to be black not blonde? Don't ignore the dress code given on a wedding invitation. If there aren't any specific instructions on what colors to wear, just dress appropriately and look nice. Some people act like they've never been to a formal event when they come dressed up like they're going to the club.

Toasts should be sweet and short. Remember, it isn't your wedding day, so make the speech about them and not you. Also, get someone's opinion on any jokes you want to make to ensure that you don't say something offensive because you could kill the good vibes at the wedding.

There are so many rules when it comes to food. Don't complain about how it didn't taste good because the couple spent a lot of money to provide food. Don't go for seconds before everyone has gotten the chance to get their first plates. For goodness sake, don't go near the cake before the couple gets to cut it and have their slices.