Chapter 15

"So can I get a refill?
Can I get a refill?
Can I get a refill?
Yeah, of your time
Cause you're intoxicating my mind
Feel like a conversational lush
Cause I don't know how much is too much, yeah
I feel like the girl at the bar who's been there too long
Can't stand up!
Elle Varner "Refill"

Maia

"We're going to hang them on the fridge, okay?" I uttered as the kids held the paintings they made in daycare in their hands as I unbuckled them from their car seats. Lauryn reportedly drew a horse that looks like a brown sheep or a cow because it's short and wide, while Joshua illustrated a blue dog that reminds me of Clifford since it's so big and is taking up the whole page. I can finally use those refrigerator magnets for something good. I put them out of the children's reach because they kept moving them and making marks on the fridge.

"I want to give it to Mémé." Lozza said. Yup, Zahair's mother is in the States and in my house. I kind of forgot she was coming until she sent me a text message about her flight. I decided to let her stay with me to prevent her from spending money on a hotel stay. Plus, I won't have to go back and forth so that the kids can see her.

"Me too." Joshie added.

"Okay, I bet she's going to love these masterpieces. Make sure you give her a big hug once we get inside." I locked the car and I held their hands as we walked up to the front door. I put the keys through the locks and let us in.

"Okay Mommy." They both remarked in unison, running in excitement to the living room. "Mémé!" We saw her sitting on the couch with her back against the arm rest watching tv.

"My babies are finally home." She embraced them. I kissed her cheek and sat down next to her. I watched the children present their pictures to her. "Wow. These are beautiful. Is this a—?" She quickly glanced at me for help in figuring out what Lauryn's picture was.

"A horse." I whispered.

"It's a horse! What noise does a horse make?"

"Neigh!"

"And you created a dog. What sound does a dog make?"

"Woof!"

"Good job! You two are so smart."

"Okay, my little munchkins. Take off your jackets and go play while I fix dinner." Once I said the word play, those two fought to remove their coats before running over to their toy chest on the other side of the living room.

"You look so happy and relaxed today." I commented on Mrs. Duncan's appearance.

"I have my good and bad days, honey. Plus, your hourly phone calls kept my sprits up." She pursed her lips.

"I was only checking up on you." I tucked my legs under me as I leaned against the couch.

"I know, but I was trying to concentrate on Family Feud." That's my show. I'm also thinking about finally watching Game of Thrones. I want to know what all the hype is about. Maybe I should read the books first.