Chapter 25

"We've come too far to let it all end
I've told you over and over again
How I feel inside but if you go
Ooh baby there's something you should know
Something you should know
There's something you should know
There's something in my heart
Something in my heart, something in my heart
Ooh it's got me hooked on you."
Michel'le "Something in My Heart"

Kyrie

Why is it that when you need something you can't find it, but when you don't need it, you find it so easily?

I don't know why that is, but that's not my main concern right now. I am about to raise hell if I don't find my wallet.

Let me stop and think for a second.

I've looked everywhere it should be with no results. All I can do now is retrace my steps. Okay, it was on the bed last night when I took out my credit card to buy some windshield sun shades because heat quickly builds up inside the cars when I don't park in a garage.

I went out with my wallet this morning to go to the barber shop and then I came back home to change my clothes before I went to pick up Maia and the kids. I had to come back when I realized that I didn't have my wallet, which has the tickets for the skating rink inside. Admission is cheaper when you get the tickets online in advance. It's not on the counter and I don't remember sitting on the couch earlier. This sh*t doesn't make any sense.

"I'm surprised you're back so early, but I'm glad because I'm ready to get my grub on. Where's the food?" Kareem came down the stairs with a stupid grin on his face. At this point, he might as well sell his house and move in here since he's here most of the time. I'm relieved he hasn't because I don't need to hear him giving Olivia the business.

"Did I tell you I was bringing you food because I'm feeling generous all of a sudden or did you give me some money before I left to buy you some food?" I questioned him, rummaging through the drawers after checking the cabinets. I already tore my room apart and checked all the pockets from my outfit this morning.

"You said you were going to get something to eat. I thought you were going to bring me something back."

"I haven't gone yet. I came back for something."

"Man. You got my hopes up for nothing." He sucked his teeth and went over to the window in the living room, near the door. Kareem peeped through the blinds. "Who is that in the car?"

"That's Maia. The kids are in the back." He turned to me and made a funny face.

"You're lying. That chick looks nothing like her and I don't see any children in the backseat. You can't fool me just because she's a redbone. I can't believe you're cheating on Maia with some random girl. You even had the audacity to bring her here. Ooouuu, Maia is going to beat your *ss when she finds out, and I'm going to be there live and direct."

"Go outside and see for yourself. You are annoying the f*ck out of me right now. Be quiet for just a moment, so I can concentrate on what I'm doing." I rolled my eyes.

"What are you looking for?"

"Thank you for finally asking. I can't find my wallet."

"Oh, you should have said something. It's in the freezer." He answered nonchalantly.

"What?" I dropped the sponge I found back into the drawer and closed it shut to see if Kareem was serious.

"I put it there because you left it on the counter for the whole world to see. I would have put it on the dresser in your room, but you like locking your door when I'm around. So, I placed it in the freezer in case of robbers. They would never look in there. Don't worry, I only took $50 for my smart thinking and gas."