24 | Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"You're a headache," he muttered before adding griffin claws to the batch.

Macey felt butterflies scratching against her stomach, feeling herself beginning to blush while twirling her hair into a bouncy curl. In a way, she adored Connor calling her a headache, but decided to shrug at his frustrated remark.

"I don't think I'm a headache," she exclaimed, tilting her head to the side. "I'm just absolutely mind-blowing."

Macey was expecting him to say something snarky, or at least scowl her for her lame attempt at a joke. Instead, he kept his focus on the potion and a parchment paper that had the instructions, grabbing at leaves and unknown substances.

With boredom streaking across her mind, Macey then lifted a seat out from under the counter, making herself comfortable before Connor gazed over at her with a stoic facial expression across his face.

"Now then," Connor muttered, reaching over to an empty glass on the table before pointing towards the lounge. "The last ingredient I need is weeping bells, located in a cupboard in there. Would you kindly fetch them for me while I pour this into a cup for you?"

Macey shifted her head back, leaping off the stool she just sat on, dragging her feet in frustration.

Just like the kitchen, the lounge was also luxurious, showcasing a more creme colour in the walls than pearl. The furniture was a milky white with artwork and artefact scattered all across the room. Pictures also hung off the walls. They were children dressed in regal suits and cute little bow ties, making Macey giggle under her breath.

"Still a nerd," she whispered, leering at the child who had curly locks that hung down his forehead and freckles that stood out like stars in the night sky.

When she looked across the walls, Macey could see that there were some pictures missing, taken down just recently. She frowned, running her finger at the blankness, wondering what could have been for there to be nothing.

"Have you found them already?" Connor's voice echoed throughout the house, making Macey return her attention towards the weeping bells, the item she came into the lounge for. It wasn't hard to spot, as there was only one cupboard that looked like it would hold things in them.

It was rather high, and Macey had to find a stepping stool to reach the things she looked like she needed. Weeping bells were gold and green and made a ringing noise when picked up. The cupboard was filled with boxes, each one of them packed to the top but none had weeping bells. She shuffled everything to the side, pushing away Christmas decorations and ornaments for the sun solstice party held every year at Grendilton.

"Finally," breathed Macey, reaching out her arm to grab them, pulling them out of the cupboard with force. "I wonder if he needs them all."

Suddenly, she began to lose her balance against the stool, shaking and turning before landing hard onto the floor, with another box tipping over, spilling photos all over her. Thankfully, they weren't in their frames but it still made her feel hurt when she looked at what was on them.

Macey's brow shot up, her mouth slanted open at what she was looking at. A string of jealousy toyed with Macey's nerves, unable to peel her eyes away from a picture of Connor with his arms wrapped around another girls waist.

He looks so happy. She had never seen Connor smile so largely before and could tell by the way he looked down at her — that he was in love.