48 | Chapter Forty Eight

The Lycan.

Billows of light collected upon Connors skin. Warmth cradled his wounds, from the edge of his jawline to the tips of his fingers, making him realise that sun magic nearly destroyed his entire body. When pressure developed on his injuries, it felt like needles were being slowly pressed into his flesh. Every now and again, Iza was in charge of using his ice magic to heal the decaying tissue. At first, it caused great pain, like a hailstorm in the middle of winter; an agony for a fire sage like himself. But, as the days went by, so did discomfort.

Macey was aloud to finally visit.

Even though she was the very reason he is critically injured, she was also the cause of the enchantment that flutters his heart when she was around him. She laid upon his chest, her thick curly hair tickling his nose gently. Her eyes didn't met his own for a long period of time, knowing full well that Macey had a question on her mind — and he knew wholeheartedly, it was directed at him.

"Never again," she whispered, causing Connor to curl his lip and crease his face in disapproval. Macey fixated her mellow gaze upon his own. She then shyly pulled herself towards his jawline, then laid a light pepper kiss before she asked, "Promise me you'll never use solar power."

An answer didn't quiet cross Connors mind instantly. Of course he wanted to tell her that he'll never use such a deadly magic ever again, because he'll see her smile. But he could never lie to her. And the fact that there could still be someone out there trying to claim her made it more difficult.

"Please," she replied grievously, whisking her fingers through his. Her actions was enough for Connor to remember the pain she has dealt with. The agony she's received when her parents died. The torment that came when Snowpea sacrificed herself for her.

Losing Connor as well...

"Okay," he murmured, his thumb trailing along the edge of her cheek, brushing along her freckles and her now prominent dimple. "I promise I won't endure anything that shall bring me closer to death."

He opened his arms to her and with no hesitation, Macey dove into the crooks of his neck. She squeezed him with all that she had, causing him to crash down onto his mattress in discomfort. Laughter filled the room like wind in a jar, with Connors face feeling strained and numb.

Time flicked past him like a raging stallion. He read to Macey, her body tucked away in his arm, enjoying the input she had about the protagonist. They also shared a glass of juice, softly locking eyes with one another, with Macey haughtily leering at him. He then combed his fingers through her thick curly locks. An aroma of coconut and vanilla invaded his senses, making him close his eyes in contentment. This moment was everything to him and he wanted this to last as long as it could.

"Water masters is cancelled," she sighed. "And so is Companions Magics."

The disappointment in her voice was thick. Connor knew how much companions magics meant to her. He tried to avoid any sort of topic that had to do with Hazel. But sometimes it was inevitable.

Her body still isn't found, he remembered Iza telling him when the ice sage came and changed the dressing on his ribs. And the shards of the blood moon amulet is gone. The lingering thought of the blood moon amulet's disappearance piqued Connors curiosity. He knows he had the adornment clutched tightly in his hand. It was clear in his mind, that he was the one who used solar energy on it.