5 | Dance With Arrogance.

Flames that roamed the room began to echo in Macey's ear. It was like a mosquito, one that couldn't leave her well alone and was making her anxious with each second that passed by. Her body was frozen and lip quivered from the fear fire created within her. Stings of lingering heat danced along her skin, pricking her with this irritation that she couldn't brush off. Was her vision becoming blurred? Was she really questioning what was real and what was fiction.

"There's no way you'll claim them!"

A voice roared in her head. Flesh ripping from bone resonated in the sound waves, the smell of burnt fauna and timber tickled her nose and created nausea inside her.

"I won't let you..."

"What is wrong with you," someone said with irritation in their voice. When Macey tilted her head up, she then saw Connor furrowing her brows at her, his facial expression pressed hard into a worrisome manner. Narrowing his gaze at her now shaky body, he then asked, "Are you okay?"

His voice was so soft and gentle and he really did look as if he cared. Clarity and calmness blanketed over Macey's nerves as she straightened her arms and hunched her shoulders back. However, the scowl set solidly upon his face didn't quite extinguish her desire to blast him into ash, causing her to shuffle away from him with her arms folded across her chest.

As the corner of his lip began to curl into a frown, he then groaned, "I cannot believe that the benevolent moon is struggling to conjure fire. I was under the impressions that you could do this blindfolded — guess it's nothing but an old wives tale."

Rolling her eyes, Macey then replied, "Sorry I've lowered your expectations of me. Maybe I'll try again next when I develop a nerve to care for a Heslington."

He shook his head and turn away from her in frustration, returning to the task at hand. He then rolled the sleeves of his shirt up to his elbows. His hands met his chest and he then took a deep breath in. A hex in the shape of a flame appeared, etching into his fawn coloured skin. The subtle smell of charred flesh lingered in the air around her, but she just couldn't take her eyes off the irritating Heslington.

Fire circulated across his arms. The heat he created was powerful, reaching Macey and brushing along her cheeks ever so slightly. Everyone noticed. With little to no effort, Connor was summoning flame after flame to swirl along his body. Everyone jeered at him, some even asked timidly how did he became so awesome. She noticed ego rising, and couldn't help but turn away in sudden embarrassment.

She became downcast, her eyes boring into the palms of her hand. She brooded and contemplated, biting at her lip and looking over her shoulder. She thought about conjuring one measly fire, just to pop his happy ballon.

Easier said than done.

"Marvellous Connor," roared Breslin, stretching his arms out wide. "One of the best fire sages I've seen so far."

Connor looked like a natural, his grin stretching from ear to ear and his fire now becoming a large sight for sore eyes.

"Still an idiot," mumbled Macey, as she lowered her hands down to her side and sighed out loud. Catching just one more glimpse of the hot head, she then intercepted Breslin's wandering eye and began to feel regret. She was hoping that the professor would ignore her or pay more attention to the mages in the distant who weren't even doing anything. But to no avail, this Djinn began to make his way to the non-casting moon mage. She embraced herself for his wrath by standing up straight, expecting him to be stern with her, somewhat mad at her for not even attempting. Macey was the moon mage and, just like Connor said, she should be doing this blindfolded.