Task 9, the Finals: Several7s Entry

Tia paced back and forth in front of the door, waiting. The thieves had tried several times to escape so far, but none were fighters. They seemed to have decided to wait her out. She was fine with that.

After hours of waiting, there was a quiet noise nearby, signifying the return of the time machine. She glanced in the direction it had come from. Now was when she should go back and meet the others. Go back to the museum where more of Kenneth's messes waited to be fixed.

A deep ache formed in the pit of her stomach. It was all so pointless. She had nothing left to look forward to. Home was a dreary existence filled with constant fighting. Going back there alone... she wasn't sure she could survive it anymore.

The wind caught her hair, tugging it out in front of her eyes. She pushed it back and stepped away from the door to the warehouse. The others would be waiting. They knew as well as she that hesitation only put her in more danger.

But that's why I offered. Dying here would be quick. From the reports she had read, the people in the immediate blast zone would have been killed almost instantly.

Her feet stayed rooted to the ground as she stared at the warehouse. Somewhere, deep down, she knew Felipe wouldn't want this. He wanted her to be happy. To live. She could almost hear his voice in her mind.

"I didn't take a bullet for you so you could die here, Tia. You know all I want is for you to find happiness. How can you do that if you are ash in the streets of Hiroshima?"

Tears leaked from the corner of her eyes. For weeks, guilt had torn through her whenever she thought of him. He hadn't deserved to die like that. It should have been her in front of that bullet, but stubborn as he was, he had saved her from that fate.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she remembered the months of peace with the settlers in Jamestown. It hadn't been easy, but they had confessed their love for each other there. Her hand went to her stomach as she remembered their late-night talks. When they gave up hope of rescue, they would lie awake planning for the future. Planning for marriage and children. Her heart ached just thinking about it now.

I can't do this. Not without you. I'm not strong enough. She sucked in a deep breath. It hurts too much.

This time, she could have sworn she heard his voice, as clear as if he were standing next to her. "Living is never easy, but you have people waiting for you who want to help. You're stronger than you think, you just have to find that strength."

Shaking, she moved further away from the warehouse. Maybe she imagined his voice, but the words were his. It was exactly what he would say to her, if he were there. He was right, too. She wasn't the only one suffering. Ujarak lost a son, and Rebeckah lost her entire team.

Sirens began to scream in the distance, and people rushed about, panicking in the streets. She wove through them toward the time machine, her resolve strengthening. She would live on and find a way to be happy, even alone.

***

Tia expected the ride back to be bumpy, but it turned out to be much worse than that. When she began to hit the controls on the machine, it sputtered to life with a loud grinding noise. Though she tried to ignore it, it only got louder.

As the machine took off, an explosion echoed in the distance. Tia gripped the controls until her knuckles turned white, bracing herself for the aftershock. It hit the machine like a tidal wave, tossing Tia across the room.

Black spots danced before her as she stood, shaking. When she felt the back of her head, her hand came away covered in blood. She tried to ignore the sudden fog surrounding her thoughts and hurried to the nearest seat to strap in.