Task 8: Entries

Spot 2: Sara_R_Stark

 Anne sat silently at the window of the museum, watching the busy traffic just outside the premises. Oh how quickly things had changed for her. She twisted the ring around her finger, feeling the familiar grooves in the gold metal. There were words carved onto the jewelry in a language she couldn't understand. It looked to be Dutch or German of some sort, and she cursed herself for not being able to read it. One day soon she would request the materials to learn the languages. Maybe then she would understand the hidden meaning behind the object.

Anne missed Edgar dearly. Of course, they only knew each other for the time span of a few hours, but it was the most meaningful time of her life. No one else had ever put her first like Edgar did. He was selfless, caring, and the kind of person she would have loved to get to know. If only her group wasn't so inclined to follow the rules, maybe she could have even brought him with them.

The thought was always with her. She could go back to the day that they met and bring him with her, but what would change? What if she never found him and she was lost in the ship as it sank beneath the waves? What then? No, it was too much of a risk that she wasn't able to take. All she could look forwards to was seeing him when she too joined him in the afterlife. Maybe then they could live the life together they were deprived of.

Sometimes she could feel Edgar with her, though. She was sure her friends would scoff at her for the thought. They would assume she only missed him to the point where she was imagining it all. Anne knew better, though. Edgar had made her a promise to be with her until the day they met again. The ring she wore was proof of that promise. He was there, and of that she was certain.

But the promise Edgar had made to her was the least of her worries at the time.

There had been a nervous buzz throughout the museum recently. Rumours flew of a potential uprising of citizens outside the walls, though no one could leave the museum to prove the theories. Some even went as far as to say that these issues would arise into a third world war. Anne was never alive for either of the world wars, but from what she had read, they sounded brutally terrifying.

She was cut out of her thoughts by a soft hand on her shoulder. Anne was too tired to jump, so she lazily raised her eyes to see Seth standing over her. The boy looked troubled, causing her to furrow her eyebrows in confusion. Anne carefully scooted over to allow him room on her windowsill, and Seth sat down heavily.

"Are you alright?" Anne asked.

"Not in the slightest," Seth sighed. "You've heard the rumours?"

"Of course. Nothing to worry about, though, right?"

"Actually..." Seth scratched the back of his neck, grimacing. "I think we should be getting worried. I eavesdropped on two of the employees talking. They're planning on sending what's left of our group back to a major battle of World War 2 to figure out how to stop this mess before it escalates further."

"So it's true?" Anne gasped. "This isn't just some rebellion?"

"No. From what I've heard, it's escalating into an entire world war."

. . . . . . . . . . . .

"But why?"

"I don't know yet," Dion whispered.

Cassius nodded, looking shaken. After Seth had told him the information a few hours ago, Dion was shell-shocked as well, but he made it his goal to inform the rest of their small group. Those trapped inside the museum needed to be prepared for the possible battle ahead.

"This is it, then," Cas murmured. "All our years struggling in this museum lead up to what? A war that can't be won? The destruction of everything around us?"