Spot 12: ZSB2000

CHARACTER 1: 

Name: Nafanua

Name: Nafanua

Age: 34

Gender: Female

Time they're from: Born 1476, Currently 1510

Country they're from: Samoa

Languages they speak: Samoan. Probably knows some Fijian and Tongan.

Appearance: Nafanua has intensely curly coffee brown hair that covers her back and rich dark skin. She has round facial features with full lips. Her foes describe her eyes like bottomless chasms of the underworld and her allies describe them as brimming over with mercy. She is shockingly tall at six foot four inches, completing her warrior stature with a strong and wide build. This, combined with her battle skill and speed, enemies mistook her for a man. Now that she leads the people, she is open about her femininity. Because her mother and her aunt brought tattooing from Fiji to Samoa, she has several tattoos.

Backstory: Nafanua was born in the middle of civil war. The East, Lea'ea-Sasa'e, and the West, Lea'ea-Sisifo. Her father, Saveasi'uleo, was an important man, brother of one of the greater chieftains, Tai'i. When her mother, a woman from a far away tribe, died while Nafanua was still young, her father raised her as a warrior. She showed such talent and promise that she poured herself into training. She hoped one day that she would make a difference in the war through not only victory, but the rise of ideals. Her father refused to let her fight in battle until she was twenty-two, but only under the disguise of a man. When Tai'i was captured by their greatest enemy, Liloma'aiva, he made Tai'i climb a palm tree upside down. It was agonizing and shameful. When Saveasi'uleo caught word of this, he was enraged. Nafanua pleaded with him to let her defeat Liloma'aiva herself. After much debate, he finally allowed it while he stayed to unite the tribes of the West. Nafanua took four masterfully made weapons and vow that she would spare her mother's kin tribe. With the help two brave women both named Matuna, she almost single-handedly defeated her enemies. She held to her principles and became known as a courteous warrior. If her enemies asked for mercy, she would give it to them. She demanded that both Matunas follow it as well. Unfortunately, the one time they disregarded these orders, they pursued an enemy in hatred and ran into Nafanua's path where she could not see that they were allies. Their deaths nearly destroyed Nafanua's resolve, but she held to her ideals even stronger. When she approached her mother's village, a gust of a wind lifted her tiputa (a common woven tunic worn by warriors), exposing her breasts. The fight stopped as the men realized they were being defeated by a woman. They gave themselves up in shame and the great war was over. She spared them and led all of Samoa into a golden age. Her ideals founded a new culture based on fa'asamoa and fa'amatai. She now lives a full life as a leader without husband or children.

Personality: Nafanua is a dedicated person who puts the needs of her people over her own. When she puts her mind to something, nothing can stop her. She is an achiever who is always looking for something to climb literally and metaphorically. Her constant development and independence has chased away most suitors and she has decided not to marry in light of what she wants to accomplish. The actions she takes in bettering herself and the people around her inspires them to do the same. Sometimes the responsibility of being not only a leader, but an image makes her fear failure and imperfection. While she knows perfectionism can be toxic, it is the thing that eats away at her the most. Every once in a while she craves the intimacy of a partner with whom she can speak freely and would support her in her emotional turmoil. In recent years, she found some solace in rekindling a relationship with her brother, but she still has want for a strong connection.