Spot 8: wordsmith-

CHARACTER 1: 

Nikomedes

Name: Nikomedes

Age: 28

Gender: Male

Time They're From: 1000 BC

Country They're From: Ancient Greece, specifically the southern Aegean island of Rhodes.

Languages: Doric (also called West Greek) is his native language, but he had to learn English to speak at the museum.

Appearance: Nikomedes is a formidable figure. Tall and imposing, his appearance is further made intimidating due to his general rough demeanor. His dark eyes are cold and his large hands are calloused from work. His hair is dark and unkempt, and Nikomedes, in general, has poor hygiene.

Backstory: Nikomedes grew up on the southern island of Rhodes, and his family belonged to the Hylleis tribe. They lived in a very tiny city-state and most of Nikomedes' predecessors were swordsmiths. However, when the Bronze Age collapse happened, the city-state of Rhodes fragmented into several smaller settlements.

It was in one of these settlements that Nikomedes grew up in. He was the only son, but he had two sisters. One died when she was 10 of disease when Nikomedes was 15. Their mother also died of disease a few years later, leaving only Nikomedes, his older sister, and their father.

Their city-state, called Chasus, was a fairly large one for its time. There were often small fights between people for land, which was a precious commodity. Nikomedes' father wasn't particularly gifted with physical prowess, but he was persuasive enough to get several other families to agree to give him their kleroi and allegiance in exchange for his protection. As such, despite the rough time and limited technology, Nikomedes and his family were one of the luckier ones.

Additionally, Nikomedes' father, Leonid, was close to the basileus (leader) which also increased the family's social standing. When his father died, as Nikomedes was an only son, he received his entire kleroi (land parcel). As an adult, Nikomedes expanded his wealth by taking other people's kleroi through a variety of ways, but mostly by stealing. Increasing his number of kleroi also increased his social standing and wealth, eventually leading to Nikomedes becoming basileus.

Personality: Nikomedes is both charismatic and intelligent, which makes him a popular leader among his community. As a child he was stubborn and argumentative, two traits he's kept as an adult. However, due to the small community he lives in, he also knows how to listen to others, a necessary quality to remain leader. As a leader, he is very much in control. He is determined and sometimes ruthless in his goal, which is usually to acquire power or wealth.

With his family, Nikomedes is very much the same. There isn't much that is soft or understanding about his personality. He's strict and focuses mostly on his oldest son, intent on molding him to be the next basileus. As such, while Nikomedes is a good leader, he is not much of a family man.