Chapter Twenty Nine; Jack and Diane

**Brantley's P.O.V.**

Since Ben and Sarah are really getting along I decided to take Carter out to the lake on my property.

"Ready to get goin?" I asked Carter.

"Where?" She asked like she was half asleep.

"Down to the lake." I said.

"Oh, yeah. Let's go." Carter said sitting up and stretching.

"You were almost asleep weren't you?" I asked her.

"Maybe. You need to not be so warm and cuddly." Carter said with a smile.

"Sorry. I'm a big teddy bear." I said with a smirk.

"No no no get it right you're my BrantBear." Carter said waving her finger in front of my face.

"And you're my angel." I said grabbing her finger and then kissing her.

"Why?" Carter asked when I pulled away.

"Why what?" I asked slightly confused.

"Why are you so perfect to me?" Carter asked.

"I try my best." I said with a smile.

"I love you, Brantley." Carter said with that smile that makes my whole heart melt.

"I love you, too, Carter." I said before kissing her forehead.

"Love birds." We both heard Sarah say from the screen door.

"What about it?" Carter asked with a smirk.

"It's gross and you're a hoebag." Sarah said with a smartass grin.

"If I'm a hoebag then you're a professawhore." Cater said with a smartass grin right back.

"Seriously? Wow okay. I need to talk to you for second." Sarah said slightly laughing because of what Carter said. Carter nodded and got up following Sarah in the house. Ben came outside a few seconds later.

"Sup man?" I asked as he was sitting down next to me.

"Nothin dude. Why did you never introduce me to Sarah before now? She's cool as shit." Ben said with a smile on his face.

"She was in a complicated relationship." I said not knowing if they had talked about Jake or not.

"Yeah. Jake, she told me about him." Ben said with a slight nod. Shit I don't think Carter and I have even talked about ex's other than Jackson but that doesn't count. I nodded not knowing what to say next.

"Oh shit, I forgot I wanted to show you this." Ben said pulling out his phone and pulling up something on Safari.

"What is it?" I asked not really wanting to wait and see what it was.

"It's just a thing about you and Carter. Nothing bad." Ben said then handing me his phone so I could look at what he was talking about. I looked at the picture that was of Carter and I on our first date at the restaurant. I began to read the article about us.

"Brantley Gilbert spotted with new girlfriend?" Was the title of it.

"A reliable source who is close to Gilbert has confirmed that Gilbert does indeed have a new girlfriend. The girl being his best friend in High School, Carter Sanders. The source continues into a statement saying.. "Brantley and Carter have always had a strong connection and everyone in town knew that sooner or later they'd be together." Looks like the town had things correct. The photo above shows Gilbert leaning over the table getting ready to kiss Sanders. Do you think these two are country music's next power couple?" I read the article out loud and wasn't sure how to feel about it. Knowing the source was defiantly someone close to us personally it makes me think who would talk to press like that?

"Next power couple, huh?" Ben said nudging me with his elbow.

"I don't know about all that." I said with a smirk and handed Ben his phone back.

"You know who your close source is?" Ben asked.

"Not a clue but I kinda wanna know." I said. I heard the screen door open and close so I turned around to see Carter walking over to me.

"Hey angel." I said smiling. Carter didn't say anything she just smiled and sat in my lap.

"You okay?" I asked her. Carter just nodded and I knew it was something but she wasn't telling me.

"Shit. I get goin. I have to be up early tomorrow for breakfast with my parents." Ben said looking at his phone.

"Alright brother. I'll see ya soon." I said shaking his hand.

"Nice meeting you, Carter." Ben said giving Carter a small hug.

"You too, Ben." Carter said in a soft voice hugging him back. Ben walked into the house probably to tell Sarah bye.

"Spill it. I know something's wrong." I said moving Carter out of my lap and onto the swing beside me.

"Jack and Diane know I'm home and know that we're together." Carter said like it's a bad thing.

"You act like it's so bad." I said.

"They want me to go over there tomorrow. Jack didn't sound too happy and Diane isn't happy with me because I'm with you and didn't make Jackson work." Carter said shakin her head and I could tell she wanted to cry pissed off tears.

"Don't listen to her. He cheated on you, you don't need someone like that. I'm never ever going to hurt you ever. I love you Angel more than anything." I said placing a kiss on her forehead.

"I know you won't BrantBear. You're more than I could have ever hoped for. I love you too." Carter said with a small smile.

"Guess that means we're goin over there tomorrow?" I asked. Carter nodded her head with a sigh. Wonderful they barely liked me when I was just her friend.. I don't even wanna know what they're gonna think now.