Chapter Nine; Miss Carter Mae

The ride to Becky's was quiet other than the radio and Brantley burping at random times. When we pulled in the driveway Becky was sitting on the porch drinking what I'm sure is tea. Brantley got out before I did and waited for me at the front of the truck. When I walked over to him he smirked at me and flung his arm over my shoulders.

"Is that my favorite girl Miss Carter Mae?" Becky asked when we reached the steps.

"Hey Mrs. Becky." I said smiling.

"Good to see you back home." She said getting up to hug us.

"It's good to be back." I said smiling and hugging Becky.

"Hey baby doll." Brantley said hugging his mom.

"Hey baby." She said. We sat on the porch talking for a few minutes before we went inside. Becky was in the kitchen making sandwiches, I don't know where Brantley went, and I was roaming the hallway looking at the pictures I had seen a million times before. I stopped at the picture of me and Brantley on my homecoming night. I was originally going to go with a group of friends but Brantley had other plans for that. He took me mudding in his truck that he had at the time, and after it was covered in mud he got out, told me stay there, a few seconds later he got me out of the truck, covered my eyes, and walked me to his side of the truck. He uncovered my eyes and he wrote "Prom?" on the side of the truck. It was sweetest thing ever.

"You looked great in that dress." Brantley said and I turned around smiling at him.

"And you cleaned up pretty good for a Jefferson boy." I said smirking.

"I liked the party that followed. It was more you. Bare feet and blue jeans." Brantley said smirking.

"That was when you got your truck stuck in the mud and we had to sleep in the bed of your pick up." I said smiling at the memory.

"I forgot about that. We did some crazy shit as kids." Brantley said chuckling.

"Hell yeah we did. I wouldn't trade it for anything though." I said smiling.

"Me neither. Well one thing but that's a story for another time." Brantley said walking away. What the hell is up with him? We is he acting so damn strange? I do not like it!

"Lunch!" Becky called through the house. I walked into the kitchen bumping Brantley out of my way if the sink so I could wash my hands. He just bumped me back and I finally got him to make room for me to stand there.

"Big butt." I said.

"Who you callin big butt?" Brantley asked looking down at me.

"Uh you." I said glancing over at him.

"Always callin me names. I'm gonna tell mama on you one of these times." Brantley said drying his hands.

"Cause I'm scared." I said snatching the towel out of his hands.

"You should be." Brantley said. I just rolled my eyes and put the towel back on the rack.

We sat down to eat lunch but before we ate we said a small prayer. I know you're supposed to pray before every meal but I normal only do before I eat dinner.

"Are you back for good, Carter?" Becky asked.

"Yes ma'am. Sarah and I have our place." I said.

"That's great baby! We've missed your smilin face around here." Becky said making me smile.

"I've missed everyone. North Carolina was great but it wasn't home." I said.

"No place can ever replace home." Becky said smiling.

"Ain't that the truth." I said smiling.

"Guess what mama." Brantley said with a small smirk.

"What?" Becky asked turning to Brantley.

"Carter and me are neighbors." Brantley said sending a small smile my way.

"Y'all always said you'd either live together or not far apart." Becky said smiling. That was true after the car accident Brantley and I decided that we didn't want to ever live hours away from each other.

"Yeah but this happened to be a coincidence." Brantley said.

"Are you sure?" Becky asked cocking an eyebrow and looking from Brantley to me. We both laughed and said yes at the same time making us laugh even more.