Chapter Thirteen; The Kiss

I didn't bother to look at Brantley since he was looking at the mud. I just sat there swinging my feet and occasionally kicking Brantley in the process. I had kicked him at least five times already and he wouldn't look at me. I was getting frustrated at this point.

"Damn it Brantley Keith Gilbert. Look at me." I said using his full name. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and then looked back down.

"What the hell?" I asked frustrated.

"You're not wearin a shirt." Brantley said.

"I wasn't wearing one when we were swimming." I said pointing out that fact.

"Yeah but we were swimmin not talkin." Brantley said not lookin at me.

"Seriously? You're such a teenager." I said slipping my shirt back on.

"Maybe you're just good lookin." Brantley said looking at me and smirking.

"Or maybe you're just a horn dog." I said smacking his arm.

"Horn dog? Really?" Brantley asked.

"Yes." I said trying not to laugh. We looked at each other for a minute and both busted out laughing.

"Okay okay. Serious faces." I said taking a deep breath. Brantley sure went from playful to serious fast it used to be the other way around.

"I don't like this. The tension between us. It's not us BrantBear." I said pushing him a little.

"You don't think I know that angel? I don't like this just as much as you don't. You came back and so did all that shit I never told you when we were younger." Brantley said.

"What didn't you tell me?" I asked Brantley wanting to know it all.

**Brantley's P.O.V.**

I looked right into Carter's eyes when she asked me what I didn't tell her. I was debating on actually telling her if tryin to kiss her scared her off tellin her all that bullshit certainly will.

"When Sarah first brought you over to the group I thought you were beautiful. Then I found out you were only fifteen if I wasn't eighteen you'd've been mine for damn sure. After spendin that night gettin to know you I wished you were just one year older. I didn't wanna just let you walk away like that so I made sure we became friends. Whenever we'd play fight or cuddle up and watch movies it took everything I had in me not to treat you like I would a girlfriend." I had so much more to say but I don't open up easily and that shit was hard enough to get out. Carter wasn't saying anything and I just knew I had messed up big time. She was gonna tell me to take her home and then she was gonna avoid me.

"I'm sorry angel I shouldn't have told you all that. It's just that you ne-" Carter cut me off.

"Shut up and kiss me already doofus." Carter said smiling. I didn't waist anymore time I crashed my lips into hers and let me tell you that was the damn kiss I've ever had. I almost didn't wanna back away but breathing is something everyone needs to do. I didn't move my hand off of Carter's waist as I looked at her just to try and see what she was thinking.

"What does this mean?" She asked studying my face.

"It means we try this. We try being together not just friends anymore." I said. I really hope Carter sees that I want this.

"You have to promise something." Carter said.

"Anything Angel." I said smiling.

"No you really gotta promise Brantley." Carter said. I could tell she was serious.

"I promise Angel." I said.

"If this whole us thing doesn't work then we go back like nothing ever happened. I can't lose you BrantBear." Carter said.

"You're never gonna lose me angel. Even if this doesn't work which I know it will; we will always be friends" I said. Damn if I didn't sound like a bitch right now but I don't even care. I got the girl, I got my career, I got my family, and more importantly I got my angel.

"Was this your plan all along?" Carter asked smiling.

"Yupp, but not the whole barring my soul thing. You made me do that." I said smirking.

"I'm glad you did it." Carter said smiling.

"So am I." I said leaning in and giving Carter another kiss.

"You know if I had known you were this good of a kisser this might of happened a lot sooner." Carter said grinning. I chuckled and shook my head this girl is crazy, but she's my kinda crazy.

"So when did you plan on tellin me that Back In The Day is about me?" Carter asked moving so her back was against my chest.

"Same time I was going to tell you that all my songs are about you." I said wrapping my free arm around her. I was supporting us with the other so if I moved that one we both are gonna fall.

"All of them?" She asked surprised.

"Well maybe not every single one but a lot of them are about you." I said.

"Which ones out of the ones we listened to yesterday and today?" She asked.

"Back In The Day, My Kinda Crazy, Fall Into Me, Play Me That Song, and Picture On The Dashboard." I said, I think that's all of them.

"So you weren't lying. Wait a minute in My Kinda Crazy it talks about biting your lip when we kiss. We just kissed for the first time like five minutes ago and I didn't bite your lip." Carter said. Always pointing things out like that.

"It's called imagination angel." I said kissing the top of her head.

"So you thought about what it'd be like to kiss me?" Carter asked.

"Okay enough talkin. Let's just watch the sunset." I said changing the subject.

"I thought about it too." Carter said before turning her attention to the sunset. I smiled to myself and enjoyed this moment.