Chapter 9 - The Well of the Force

Playlist:

❶ "The Map Room—Dawn"—Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

❷ "The Sacred Jedi Texts"—The Last Jedi OST

"A New Alliance"—The Last Jedi OST

❹ "The Hologram/Binary Sunset" 2.15–4.08—A New Hope OST

Luke stumbled out of the cursed catacomb

Luke stumbled out of the cursed catacomb. As the tower rained stones upon him, he slid toward the only exit. Three large boulders smacked each other with pounding violence as they collided near the opening, releasing a slew of pebbles and larger rocks across the exit.

As the dust settled, a blaze of sun shone from a crevice above, bathing him in a column of light.

"Young Skywalker, proud I am." The green Jedi Master apparated beside him. Yoda pushed his cane out and settled on the clay floor.

The chamber quaked again, the rock formation rotating, spiraling upward. Luke scooted back. "What's happening?"

"Peace. Be at peace," his master said. "Soon you will see." With a chuckle, the little creature closed his eyes and smiled as the stones rose.

❶ Rough slabs ground each other above, sliding into the tower of rock. The boulders soon gave way to a smooth cylinder of apricot sandstone. Tan, brown, and even pink layers marbled the stone as it rose higher and higher.

"Wha—what is this?"

"Ancient Jedi Temple." The cylinder finally stopped spinning, leaving a sealed circular portal directly in front of them. "In we must go."

Luke approached the door and swept his fingers over the carvings that bordered the round slab. He probed with the Force. A blue light pierced through the etchings in a ripple that started at the bottom of the circle but stopped before it reached the top.

Stiffening his face, he tried again. A burst of light shot into his chest and tossed him to the ground.

Yoda tittered at him. "Oh, Skywalker, when will you learn to ask questions first? Hmm?"

The wizened creature lifted the young man by the hand. "Come. Together we do this. Master and apprentice, as always it has been and ever will be."

They raised their hands in unison, the Force flowing through their combined strength.

Luke luxuriated in the master/apprentice bond once more. Had it only been a few rotations ago I was on Dagobah? It seems like a lifetime ago. Why did I ever leave?

"Concentrate," Yoda said. He closed his eyes and grinned, moving his hand.

The blue light burst through the glyphs, blinding Luke. When the seal flashed, bathing the chamber in sapphire tones, a deep rumble began. The stone rolled away from the door, revealing a darkened tunnel.