Chapter 99 - Light and Hope

Playlist:

❶ "Marion's Theme"—Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

On a beautiful summer day three months after the mission to Castell, Luke and Naluma hiked a few clicks north of the Jedi Academy complex on Khalkha

On a beautiful summer day three months after the mission to Castell, Luke and Naluma hiked a few clicks north of the Jedi Academy complex on Khalkha. Packs filled with food, blankets, and lightsabers burdened both Jedi as they climbed to the higher elevations. The bright-blue sky beckoned them higher still as puffy clouds raced across the expanse.

When they reached a glade surrounded by a grove of massive kedari trees, Luke said, "This will do." He dumped his pack on the springy grass and dropped to the ground.

As Naluma sat beside him, she cocked her head. "You okay?"

"Yeah." He smiled back at her, relaxing her with a ray of sunshine that emanated from his inner being. Luke hunted in his pack and withdrew his water bottle. After sipping the bottle, he handed it to Naluma.

He's still so pale. I know he's been working out in the weight room and combat arena, but he's still a long way from healed. 

Luke pushed his pack to the side and pulled himself into his favorite meditation pose with his legs crossed and his feet intertwined over his knees.

"We're meditating?" That's good. Give him a chance to catch his breath.

He nodded. "Feel the Force flowing through the grove?" 

She closed her eyes and mirrored his pose. "Yes. I always love it up here, away from the kids, just me and the Force ... and you."

He smiled. "Focus on the Force, not me right now."

She laughed and winked at him.

"Let go of your fears, your concerns. Even Wei'ahtt."

She shuddered at his name. He's still not back. No word yet. I shouldn't have left him.

"Release that fear. Fear leads to anger, which leads to aggression, which leads to suffering."

A few silent moments passed until Naluma pushed her protégé from her mind.

"Now, let the Force flow. Cleansing breaths. Don't try to do anything. Let the Force have its way with you."

She laughed. "That sounds a bit naughty, Luke."

"Enough." He cut her off in a tone she had not heard in years. "You know what I meant. Return to peace."

A few minutes became an hour, as the Force moved its tendrils in and out and around the pair dressed in black in the glade. The sun beat down on their backs, the black uniforms absorbing the rays.

She groaned as Force-visions assaulted her. After the initial shock, images flowed in and out of her consciousness—Wei'ahtt on Ruusan and Kallay on her new mission. Both brought peace.