Chapter 78 - Embers Quenched by the Snow

Playlist:

❶ "Sequoia"—The Sounds of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks

❷ "Wind Sounds 1 Hour / Wind Blowing Through Autumn Forest"—Relaxing Sounds Of Nature

❸ "In the Jungle"—Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

❹ "Hymn to the Fallen"—Saving Private Ryan OS

❶ The next morning after breakfast, they hiked into the higher elevations, where large kedari trees intermixed with deciduous thundu trees

❶ The next morning after breakfast, they hiked into the higher elevations, where large kedari trees intermixed with deciduous thundu trees. The kedari trees stood in stately groves, while the thundu trees branched out. They cast shadows upon large expanses of kavak, small feather­wing plants harbored underneath the threes.

A skittish mammal weighing about three-hundred kilograms with antlers called a fianna bounded across the trail as they climbed the pass. The tupai—small ground mammals with spots all over their long-­haired body—skittered away as the large party invaded their territories.

Plenty of avians, from the nocturnal ugla to the gigantic atsahs, soared across the clear, blue sky, catching the updrafts from the sun-heated boulders below. From a distance, the group spied a gigantic black shashini standing on his two rear legs and using his claws to peel the bark off a tree.

A pair of laser shots echoed through the surroundings. Ten minutes later, Luke spotted Wei'ahtt and Zeke hauling back a sizable fianna buck. As the sun set, their campfire came to life among the mauve sky and chittering forest critters. The grilled meat tapped a primal urge to eat and the group enjoyed a quiet meal and gentle camaraderie in front of the crackling fire. Legends and songs from the many cultures that represented the Jedi Order peppered the night.

 Legends and songs from the many cultures that represented the Jedi Order peppered the night

❷ Overnight the temperature dropped, causing the atmospheric pressure to rise. In the morning, the wind had picked up so much that the fire kept dying. Luke conferred with Naluma in hushed tones as the Padawan ate breakfast around the sputtering flames. "I think it's time to break camp and get down to the lower elevations before we find ourselves snowed in."

Naluma brushed the gathering snowflakes off her arm. "It's only month nine. Are we really getting snow this early?"

"We're above 2300 meters. Winter comes early here, and I really don't want to relive my days on Hoth," Luke said with a smirk. "The dark clouds over that ridge look like trouble. Big trouble."