Chapter 106 - Do You Need a Hand?

❶ "Jedi Master Revealed—Mynocks"—The Empire Strikes Back Extended ST

⊘ Silence

❷ "Scherzo for X-wings"—The Force Awakens OST  

⊘ Silence  

❸ "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan"—Revenge of the Sith OST

⊘ Silence

Luke escorted Ben throughout the complex, ending in the combat arena

Luke escorted Ben throughout the complex, ending in the combat arena. Unlike military arenas that were open spaces, this arena boasted multiple platforms at different elevations throughout the massive gymnasium. 

❶ Advanced Padawan sparred with training sabers against each other. Each weapon was set to stun, Naluma's modification now a standard design for new sabers. A few Padawan, including Jedi Naluma, used their lightsabers in battle against training remotes.

Ben leaned on the thick metal rail separating the arena floor from the spectator gallery. "What makes a good saberfighter?"

Master Skywalker pointed to Padawan Zeke Leer as he battled a training remote. "Speed, strength." He pointed toward Padawan Geryl who flipped in Ataru aerials. "Endurance, focus." Then he turned to Ben. "But the most important—a mind sharpened in strategy. The Force can compensate for physical shortcomings, but not that."

Two other Padawan passed by them. "Is there a particular body type that is better than the others?"

Luke corrected the couple passing in front of him. "Benae, mix it up a bit. Make your partner work for it. Zolaah, why aren't your lekku tied back? That's not going to work in battle."

"Yes, Master Skywalker," they said in unison as they charged each other. Benae blocked Zolaah's over-arm thrust and grunted as they struggled for dominance.

Master Skywalker turned his attention back to his charge. "Hmm, body type. Upper body strength is a must, but the longer your reach, the easier it will be." He looked Ben up and down. The boy's legs and arms seemed unusually long for his torso. Luke smiled at him. "Don't worry, you look like you'll be getting your height from your dad's side." He winked at the young boy.

Ben's firm lips almost cracked into a grin, but his neutral mask flowed over his face once again. "How long will it take me to become good at this?"

"Good, as in not being killed in the first few minutes? Three to five years just to get the basics down."

Ben gulped. "Years?"

Luke nodded.

After a few more moments of the graceful movements entrancing him, Ben asked, "Do Jedi Knights ever train against each other with live lightsabers?"

"Occasionally." Luke waved his arm toward a particular Padawan. "Benae, lift that arm. You drop it like that, your opponent will disarm you."

The tall, dark Mirialan girl said, "Yes, master." The girl raised her arm to defend the next blow from her Twi'lek partner Zolaah.